AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004719 times)

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #2600 on: August 12, 2012, 05:59:15 pm
Yep, I'm at about the same point in the book, actually -- good read so far, I find the whole "symbol system" part very interesting and my largest problem so far -- already getting a lot out of the read,

Offline Stab

• I'M WILLOWS!
    • View Profile

Reply #2601 on: August 12, 2012, 10:35:34 pm
I got so frustrated with some part of that book that I actually tracked down and emailed the author to try figure out why the exercise results were differing so much from "what was supposed to happen".

I guess the turmoil/frustration is good! Maybe it signifies your own struggle to understand the stuff put in front of you, and re-design the way you see things?

Offline halffish

• View Profile

Reply #2602 on: August 15, 2012, 09:55:33 am
This place... pixelation... it still exists?!

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #2603 on: August 15, 2012, 12:00:28 pm

Sure! Why not?
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Reply #2604 on: August 15, 2012, 12:03:56 pm

Of course it does.  It'll probably exist long after mankind is extinct from some big catastrophe and the only active members using this site will be a race of pixelling cockroaches...
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #2605 on: August 16, 2012, 12:24:40 am
Pixelation can never die  :'(

Lachie D and Ashbad, I wish you guys the best with your studies.  That book sounds really good  ;D Hope to see some (more) beautiful pixels from you guys soon  ;D
.. ;D

Not to promote myself, cuz well I don't want to promote myself, but I just thought I'd post my youtube channel here, cuz I'm kinda proud of myself for starting to try to branch out and do things again, because for the past 1/3 of my life or so I literally haven't lived a day and within that time I've felt further from myself every day.  I'll probably do drum covers, sing a little, and idk what else.  Don't really mind who sees, it's just to push my comfort zone  :-[ http://www.youtube.com/user/OneStoneDrum?feature=mhee

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #2606 on: August 16, 2012, 07:56:39 am
Not to promote myself, cuz well I don't want to promote myself, but I just thought I'd post my youtube channel here, cuz I'm kinda proud of myself for starting to try to branch out and do things again, because for the past 1/3 of my life or so I literally haven't lived a day and within that time I've felt further from myself every day.  I'll probably do drum covers, sing a little, and idk what else.  Don't really mind who sees, it's just to push my comfort zone  :-[ http://www.youtube.com/user/OneStoneDrum?feature=mhee

Really nice! I'll check back every once in a while. I like what you've got so far :)
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2607 on: August 16, 2012, 01:28:10 pm
Yeah, good stuff! Keep posting!

How do you handle the snare in these videos? It's not immediately apparent to me.

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #2608 on: August 16, 2012, 03:38:18 pm
Thanks!  Yeah, I have hundreds of things I can post.  I'm doing something today where you'll actually hear what I'm doing, since it'll be separate from music playing. 

About the snare, if you look carefully I have two bass drum pads, each with a foot pedal.  The left bass drum pad is programmed to do snare sounds, and the right is for the bass drum.  So, I play the snare drum with a foot pedal with my left foot, and the bass drum with my right foot.  Also, because a lot of music requires fast snare drum, I have a drum pad normally where a snare drum is that is programmed to do the exact same sound as the left bass drum pad.  I can alternate hits between my left foot and right hand on the snare pad when it's required.  But, I can also simply play traditionally, because electronic pads still respond to hits with my left arm, it's just quite clunky, but it is useful in times.  The video I'll do today will have my playing this way, utilizing all of my limbs

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2609 on: August 16, 2012, 09:54:50 pm
That's what I figured. Excellent solution.