AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004556 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #2340 on: June 17, 2012, 06:47:23 pm
I understand. Perhaps you'll make the money this way. But if not, holding a job to make the necessary money to live is what most people do. If you can't get yourself to be motivated to basically provide for yourself, then there are larger issues at hand than a camcoder.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #2341 on: June 18, 2012, 10:56:21 pm
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #2342 on: June 20, 2012, 05:51:59 am
Well, Prometheus sure was disappointing.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2343 on: June 20, 2012, 11:58:05 pm
So many plot-holes, yes. Bad pace. Good acting! Could have been so much better.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2344 on: June 21, 2012, 02:33:38 am
Prometheus was dumbfounding. Really disappointed. How do these major productions fall victim to these things? I was SO looking forward to it, too. Many gripes.
There were some gems, though. I LOVED the Space Jockey scene - when the Giger-inspired machine emerged from the ground and the engineer climbed into it. That was cool! Nostalgic, yet new.
As for Prometheus being bad a subjective thing, here's some pretty objective points to read - Just 5 little things.

And here's a little something I just found today. Where else am I going to link it.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2345 on: June 21, 2012, 10:52:11 am
How can plot holes not bother people? Oh well.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #2346 on: June 21, 2012, 07:39:44 pm
I know we kinda moved off the prometheus topic...but I still wanted to make a little post :p

I still havent watched it, but his is so seminal that I will even if it sucks if only to watch it crash. Much like what Metal Gear Solid 4 was for me personally (I wouldnt compare the scale of the franchises, just that I was a big MGS4 fan :P)

https://kbco.wordpress.com/2012/06/08/prometheus-no-spoilers-though/ I read this, and it says to not expect answers, to not expect terror.

From Pixelation, I gather I can also expect plotholes, bad pace and some good acting :p. I've heard it removes (whatever little was left) of the mysticism from the Xenomorphs, is this true?

I also stumbled into an interview where Ridley allegedly "explains it" I wonder if it's satisfying for someone who saw it...
http://www.movies.com/movie-news/ridley-scott-prometheus-interview/8232

I've managed to be spoiler free so far, so if anybody can tell me some more things I can expect to suck without singling out the elements I'd apreciate it, so I can become as disappointed as posible before I enter the theater, and I get to enjoy the visuals atleast as much as one could.

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #2347 on: June 21, 2012, 09:55:34 pm
Since drawing with colors just overloads me and gets me more concerned with the colors instead of actual pixeling and drawing, is it ok to just draw everything in greyscale first? 

And if so, is it ok to use a 16 color palette which is evenly divided in value, like so? 

And if so, how does one go about coloring a greyscale image, or devising a coordinated palette from a greyscale piece?

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #2348 on: June 22, 2012, 01:53:39 am
Of course it's ok.  Grayscale is fine.  You might try fewer colors though.  Maybe 6 or so to start.  Practicing Line art or complete forms is fine. 
If you are new to pixels, the noobtorials at PixelJoint are useful: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5692

Hope this helps.

But off topic, this week was adventures in digging. 

There is a tree stump in my yard.  So I go to dig it out.  Only it's not a tree stump exactly.  Two feet down and there's no roots so far, just trunk.  Like the previous owner buried a tree halfway and then just chopped off the top half at the new ground level.  Why????  This thing could go down six feet or more.  Well, ok, I can just cover the top with brickwork.

Digging adventure #2 was the anvil.  Yep, my house came with an anvil.  An I-beam really, about 1 foot long and 6 inches in either direction.  Welded to a short post that is stuck in a large post that is stuck in the ground.  The whole thing comes up to your waist.  The anvil part is heavy, gotta be 60 pounds or so (25+ kg) but it comes off and I can carry it.  The large post goes down to the ground, embedded in concrete.  No problem, I can just dig it out, right?

An hour later, I've got a hole a yard deep (1 m).  I've had to dig a hole to stand in just so I can dig down further.  The post keeps going, and doesn't even wiggle when I tug on it.  On the one hand, it's kind of amazing how much dirt one person can move in an hour.  On the other, I'll never be a gravedigger because I'm too much of a wimp.  And the post still mocks me.  I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

Anyone have a use for a heavy chunk of steel I-beam?

Tourist

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #2349 on: June 22, 2012, 05:34:24 am
I've managed to be spoiler free so far, so if anybody can tell me some more things I can expect to suck without singling out the elements I'd apreciate it, so I can become as disappointed as posible before I enter the theater, and I get to enjoy the visuals atleast as much as one could.

The biggest problem is that the movie was coauthored by Damon Lindelof. The same gripes that Lost fans have with the writing to Lost, Alien fans will have with the writing to Prometheus.

Plots sprout out and are never resolved, or are promptly resolved without any emotional resonance. Characters are one-dimensional and their actions are idiotic. Personalities never emerge. No one is likable. Something is very wrong when an android is the most fleshed out and believable character in a movie. The movie wasn't character based like it's predecessors. People only exist to move the plot along.

Really, this movie was sabotaged by a bad screenplay. As Helm said, the actors did great. Ridley Scott is one of the better directors alive today. The production was top notch, but you can't polish a turd.