AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004491 times)

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #2330 on: May 20, 2012, 11:58:30 pm
I'm lovin' CS6!

I am too! But the chances that I can afford to buy a license when my trial period expires are very slim. Guess you can pay an additional 20 every month and keep it, though? Does it mean I can pay for one month at a time, as long as I see fit, or is a prolonged subscription required? (I will look this up soon)

Anyway, I've tried my hand at OpenCanvas (latest v.) today, to see if it could be a viable alternative for my cg-arting needs. It's very affordable, at least. Has anyone else here got any good experience with it? Cause to me it's rather confusing. It doesn't appear to work too well with my Bamboo Pen, either, or I'm missing/not understanding something (the stylus button-controls don't seem to work properly).

All I'm wondering is if it has enough to offer that I can attempt to do professional-level art with it. Example: if I'm commissioned to create a fantasy landscape in a painterly style, can I count on OpenCanvas to have all the tools I need towards achieving that goal? Sure, a good artist could make do with any tool, I guess. What I'm trying to get at is if it's feasable to achieve the goal in question in regards to efficiency (not having to do any elaborate, time consuming workarounds to get the desired requirements. That's generally what I feel my issue is with GIMP). Would anyone here have an answer to that?

Otherwise, what other art programs would you suggest that are free to relatively cheap, and could fulfill the requirements of the example above?

Thank you for your time!
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #2331 on: May 21, 2012, 12:53:45 am
Here's the Photoshop CS6 price breakdown:

$20/month, if you sign up for a 1 year subscription.
$30/month, for month-by-month payments.

There's also Creative Cloud, which gives you access to every single Adobe product. $50/month for yearly subscription, $80 for month-by-month.

Someone on Hacker News did the math, and the new subscription model is cheaper than buying a perpetual license. Especially now that new versions come out yearly.

Otherwise, what other art programs would you suggest that are free to relatively cheap, and could fulfill the requirements of the example above?

MyPaint has a beautiful painting engine. It's free and open source. Very minimalist. It's a great supplement for Photoshop/GIMP. Laydown the foundations in MyPaint, then do final color and rendering adjustments in Photoshop.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 05:41:57 am by blumunkee »

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #2332 on: May 21, 2012, 04:46:30 am

Paint tool sai makes photoshop look like a klutzy dinosaur when it comes to digital painting and drawing.
It has pretty much everything you need except for text support (which you can always do in something like gimp) and a pretty sane price tag.
I've seen it grow more and more popular among digital artists and for good reason.

You just can't comfortably pixel in it, it's pretty much tailor made for high res cg art only but there are better alternatives for that anyway.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 04:51:23 am by 9_6 »
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #2333 on: May 21, 2012, 10:36:45 am
Here's the Photoshop CS6 price breakdown:

$20/month, if you sign up for a 1 year subscription.
$30/month, for month-by-month payments.
Thanks for the info!

As for MyPaint, I've played with it for quite a while. Though I couldn't quite figure out how to get the brushes behave like I wanted. Never really bothered to learn how the brush settings in MyPaint worked, though. I went on to PS because I already knew how to get versatile, foundational brushes for it (through the help of the brilliant Ctrl+Paint).

Paint tool sai makes photoshop look like a klutzy dinosaur when it comes to digital painting and drawing.
It has pretty much everything you need except for text support (which you can always do in something like gimp) and a pretty sane price tag.
I've seen it grow more and more popular among digital artists and for good reason.

You just can't comfortably pixel in it, it's pretty much tailor made for high res cg art only but there are better alternatives for that anyway.

Cool, I'll have another look on that then. I already have GraphicsGale for pixels, and it turns out to be able to handle all professional requirements on the pixel-side of things.

Thanks, all!  :)
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #2334 on: May 30, 2012, 12:09:28 am
Does anyone know/remember how to remove the automatic anti-aliasing that firefox does when zooming in on an image? I used to have something that addressed it, but for whatever reason that's gone and now I'm at a loss. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Jeremy

• howdy
    • pixellerjeremy
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19218.htm
    • pixellerjeremy
    • View Profile

Reply #2335 on: May 30, 2012, 08:37:19 am
This thread? (see Dusty's post)

It's odd, I have a Stylish thing for PJ's forum, but not here, and the click zoom works fine  ???

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #2336 on: May 30, 2012, 04:14:20 pm
Pixelation's own CSS includes the necessary fix(es):
img.zoom
{
   image-rendering: -moz-crisp-edges; /* Firefox */
   image-rendering: optimizeSpeed; /* Webkit */
   image-rendering: -o-crisp-edges; /* Opera */
   -ms-interpolation-mode: nearest-neighbor; /* IE */
}

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #2337 on: June 17, 2012, 03:40:40 am
trying to raise some money for a camcorder:
http://www.indiegogo.com/meltingmind?a=703840
figure I'd hit this place up since it's the best creative outlet I know and there might be better support here than other places.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2338 on: June 17, 2012, 10:34:54 am
Good luck with reaching the sum. Is getting a job in the field out of the question? You're a wonderful pixel artist.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #2339 on: June 17, 2012, 04:45:39 pm
thanks, i've been trying to do freelance, but it's been hard for me to stay motivated. I want to try and do more outside my apartment and tie my interest in observation of detail beyond just looking at a screen- to kind of capture real-life stuff rather than just repeat cycles of thought inside my own head.. to put it simply I guess. :\