AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004271 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #2170 on: September 26, 2011, 09:12:51 pm
HAY GUYS! I just got my invite to Diaspora*
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/196017994/diaspora-the-personally-controlled-do-it-all-distr
it's a facebook designed to take the information that gives facebook so much $$$$ from them and give it to the people =)

it's looking pretty empty right now...and I would like to have some pixel-friends over there is anybody over there or wants to be?

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2171 on: September 27, 2011, 04:56:37 am
I was messing around with 3d for the game I'm working on as well. Not developing on a 3ds though so I was just playing with cross eye 3d. Thought it would be relevant to anyone who didn't have a 3ds and wanted to see taka's picture.

All you do is look at the image and cross your eyes over until both images overlap. Might take a little practice but it's the clearest stereostropic image you can get.

Those light rays on the top look soooo good in 3d, not to mention the rest of it, I feel like the flat trees in the background really stand out in 3d though.

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #2172 on: September 27, 2011, 05:49:14 pm
HAY GUYS! I just got my invite to Diaspora*
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/196017994/diaspora-the-personally-controlled-do-it-all-distr
it's a facebook designed to take the information that gives facebook so much $$$$ from them and give it to the people =)

it's looking pretty empty right now...and I would like to have some pixel-friends over there is anybody over there or wants to be?
I'm hyped up for it. I just recently signed up for an invite, though.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to leaving Facebook permanently. Hopefully.
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #2173 on: October 02, 2011, 03:06:10 pm
I'm in it and I can send you an invite right now, charlie ...so I will =)

I am in Diaspora because of this http://youtu.be/QOEMv0S8AcA (Full Speech http://youtu.be/m7LVZON5uRQ)

Here's a post about it from inside Diaspora* by one of the devs
Quote from: Yosem Companys
The media has painted us as the David that will either slay or succumb to Goliath. (Insert FB or G+ for the Goliath, depending on the media's narrative.)

It's also a function of competitive differentiation. You only know what something is by comparing it to something else that exists. The media has chosen to compare us to FB & G+, which is understandable.

The better comparison, however, is AOL vs the WWW. When AOL appeared on the scene, it was the only commercial email provider. You couldn't send email to Prodigy, for example, from AOL, and vice versa. AOL would force you to navigate the Internet through AOL's portal. Then the (free or open-source, use your preferred term here) WWW came on the scene. Soon thereafter came communication protocols that enabled different email providers to connect their users with each other. AOL clung to their walled garden approach and slowly over time was transformed from a monopolist into just one of many actors on the open web.

Fast forward to today, and you find a similar situation. FB doesn't allow its users to message G+ users, and vice versa. FB forces all applications to use their API, thereby losing the richness of the larger web, forcing applications to conform to FB's development environment. D* is not trying to kill FB or G+. Like the WWW before it, D* is trying to reinvent the social web from one that relies on walled gardens to one that is open to all players. We believe the world will be better when users own their own social data and decide with whom to share it with, regardless of where these users are online. There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to communicate with G+ users from FB, and vice versa. There is no reason why you should be forced to use pre-approved FB apps instead of any web app available online in its native environment.

D* wants to enable you to own your own data and enjoy the open web in a social way. It's not about killing G+ or FB. It's about enabling users to own their own social data and have the choice to use any service they want, which will force the walled gardens to provide better services, lest their users leave and take their own data to other services online that provide these for them.

if you feel like you want to network with discussion like that now join diaspora now, otherwise wait to see if maybe they do make some kind of killer feature...cause right now as much as I'd like to say so I dont think we have it yet :p
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 06:37:01 pm by Conceit »

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #2174 on: October 02, 2011, 04:42:09 pm
Hey, thanks a lot! I'll try it soon, for sure!

Either way, I believe that they'll start sending out invites to whoever hasn't got them yet, soon. "...by the end of October at the latest" has been said.

Though I'm eager to start using it soon, so, great thanks, anyway!
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #2175 on: October 06, 2011, 10:39:53 pm
R.I.P. Steve Jobs :(

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #2176 on: October 07, 2011, 03:44:35 pm
Yeah :c

Although I came to hate all things Apple, Steve Jobs grew on me and I admired his decisions and involvement in his company.

Kinda cool that they're basically indexing all of his decisions and putting it in a rulebook for future managers. Immortalizing the leadership style that got Apple to where it is today, I suppose.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #2177 on: October 07, 2011, 07:28:20 pm
Is everything in place for this year's Secret Santa?  The Holidays march closer with every second...
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Reply #2178 on: October 11, 2011, 12:24:44 pm

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2179 on: October 18, 2011, 04:39:46 pm