AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004360 times)

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #1850 on: November 15, 2010, 11:56:54 pm
Type 'opera:config' into your address bar, find the multimedia settings and turn off interpolate images.
Aw how am I supposed to find that out?
Well that was short and painless. Something like that should be stickied.
Thanks.
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #1851 on: November 16, 2010, 12:03:19 am
I seem to have very low patience with paper and pencil, which I find odd considering that I enjoy pixel art. With pixel art I can spend hours on a piece... however when I try to draw on paper I seem to want to get it over with as fast as possible. I rush through, I don't spend enough time cleaning up as I should, and I just don't seem to want to put the effort into it. It doesn't seem subconscious, but it seems like while I'm drawing I don't seem to want to put the effort into things like accurate lines, and I get bored fast.

Another thought I had on this: the more skilled you might be on one medium (pixel art here, and you are certainly skilled) the more psychologically disturbing it might be to you to return or dabble in another where the skills do not immediately translate, because the immediate results aren't as good as you're used to, so you want to subconsciously get it over with as fast as possible. I'm slowly learning to color digitally and I certainly feel this flight instinct here and there.
I can agree with this. Soon I hope to get into something like painting(I'm very interested in watercolor) to maybe revive the old drive I had for drawing before I got into pixel art.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #1852 on: November 17, 2010, 10:53:47 am
What's the deal with artists for old CRPGs feeling the need to put a noise texture on everything? I'm mostly thinking of Dungeon Master-likes, Wizardry VI, Black Crypt, but non-first person ones too (unfortunately I can't think of any off the top of my head). Maybe I'm just over privileged because of this place and modern pixel techniques but I don't see how that became so pervasive and tied with that certain era and genre of games. Something about the late 80s/early 90s RPG nerd zeitgeist that caused them to search for distressing textures, or just a cultural memetic thing?

In any case, that kind of absolute dingyness doesn't happen much anymore.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 11:00:30 am by Cow »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1853 on: November 17, 2010, 04:26:40 pm
Keep in mind that say, dungeon master, has a global 16 color palette (if memory is good) and there's a bit limit on the channels too on the Atari ST (where the original game was programmed I think). This means that although these colors are hand-picked, they're still 16 colors. They have to shade and convey depth of vision with just these colors. And you're in a dungeon. Single pixel noise is just something that made sense for them.

See how things changed when Westwood got their hands on a VGA chip and did Lands of Lore in the same vein.

Don't be too hard on old Atari ST games, 'pixelling' wasn't important for them, the pixels were blurry and the colors were few. They were trying to convey spaces and gameplay with very little.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #1854 on: November 17, 2010, 04:55:55 pm
Pretty much all of those games had the corridors fade into black in the distance:

To do that with heavy dithering seems obvious (although I'm not sure if anything else has ever even been attempted with a 16 colour palette in this genre), so maybe that influenced the rest of the design as well. How would it not?

Offline Twirly

• View Profile

Reply #1855 on: November 21, 2010, 06:38:54 pm

I love this cover regardless of the perspective and other issues it has :D

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #1856 on: November 27, 2010, 11:05:05 am
I dont know if any of you guys use socials networks but I do....I use facebook even tough I hate it, any time I'm about to go delete my account permanently some contact pops up that makes me think I should keep it after all.

Which is why I was excited about the open source alternative that values your privacy
https://joindiaspora.com/
problem is I didnt join their mailing lists so I didnt get an invite, does anybody have any?

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #1857 on: November 30, 2010, 02:48:39 am
Browsing the internet brought me to here:
http://blog.drawn.ca/post/1678823989/ray-harryhausens-rapunzel

which has an 11 min long  flash video of Ray Harryhausen's Rapunzel.  Top notch animation. 

When I think about idle animations, this is the sort of thing I would like to emulate rather than the common standing bounce or heavy breathing.

Tourist

Offline SirBilly

• MS Painter
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14358.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #1858 on: December 03, 2010, 05:14:13 pm
I've got a 100 x 100 cm canvas and thought I'd make another pixel art oil painting, but how about I paint something from you guys instead? Would anyone feel interested having their artwork painted?
I was thinking something like a 100 x 100 or 50 x 50 pixel art peice and making a thread where people could submit their art. 
Would be pretty cool to see what comes out of it.  ::)

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #1859 on: December 29, 2010, 01:59:07 am
Anyone know where I can find some lossless screens of Watchmen Mobile? I can find some stray sprites here and there but nothing significant, and I want to study it because it's truly gorgeous. I have a vague feeling that at least one person here worked on it so I thought I could try my luck.