AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004740 times)

Offline Moribund

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #1780 on: September 19, 2010, 06:24:30 pm
I am feeling both sides of the "silent hero" issue. I think it works very well in the context of Zelda, because the plot doesn't really have to do so much with emotion and human interaction, as being a hero and saving the day with great feats. Dead Space, on the other hand, often tries to elicit emotion, with spoilericious dramatic events. The whole "scary game" thing fits in too, as once you isolate the player and the character with this emotional interaction to other characters, you don't have to be scared for you, you have to be scared for the character, which you can't be if you don't really care for the prat.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #1781 on: September 19, 2010, 07:12:23 pm
Does anyone feel meh at the graphics of Other M? I'll admit I haven't played the game yet but from the screenshots the game looks so... boring compared to the Prime games. Nothing pops out as amazing or breathtaking... or artistic. It all looks so dull. Like I said I haven't played the game, but all my impressions from screenshots are that everything just gives me the feeling of "good enough."

Offline Keand64

• View Profile

Reply #1782 on: September 20, 2010, 01:40:24 am
On a completely unrelated note:

This forum seems to have changed, particularly the 'click and zoom' on the images becoming quite blurred.  Pardon if this is an idiotic question, but why was it changed? (I ask only because it's very difficult to view zoomed images of pixel art when the pixels become blurred).
OH MY GOD ITS AIRMAN!!

Offline McClaneGames

• Evan M
    • View Profile
    • NinetySix, Co.

Reply #1783 on: September 20, 2010, 01:48:19 am

This forum seems to have changed, particularly the 'click and zoom' on the images becoming quite blurred.  Pardon if this is an idiotic question, but why was it changed? (I ask only because it's very difficult to view zoomed images of pixel art when the pixels become blurred).
link

Offline Keand64

• View Profile

Reply #1784 on: September 20, 2010, 03:18:35 am

link

I feel stupid now...
Anyways, I looked everywhere, and the best solution I found was just to downgrade back to FF2, which saddens me greatly.
Not to derail the thread or anything ^^.
OH MY GOD ITS AIRMAN!!

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #1785 on: September 20, 2010, 01:58:36 pm
Does anyone feel meh at the graphics of Other M? I'll admit I haven't played the game yet but from the screenshots the game looks so... boring compared to the Prime games. Nothing pops out as amazing or breathtaking... or artistic. It all looks so dull. Like I said I haven't played the game, but all my impressions from screenshots are that everything just gives me the feeling of "good enough."
Other M's graphics are quite odd, they look so "videogame" that it feels very sterile.
I enjoyed Other M though, it absolutely has flaws and some pretty big ones at that, but I think it manages to hit a few of the notes that the Prime games didn't even swing at.

The main thing I always feel disappointed with in the Prime games is how Samus feels like a tank.
If she had a sense of agility like in Mirror's Edge and perhaps a similar "edge grabbing" control thing like the Call of Duty games I would be pretty damn happy. The best example of Retro not recognizing how important controlling Samus feels are those stupid little platform edges you can grab in Prime 3, having Samus only be allowed to grab specific parts of specific platforms is already pretty bad, but it just feels so awkward jumping into them and triggering a cutscene of her pulling herself up every time. It wouldn't be as bad if the camera at least stayed inside her helmet, but it changes to a fixed angle so it can completely break the immersion.
Also, you should have been able to see her body when looking down, every FPS should do this ffs.

It's interesting how different people think Metroid games should focus on different aspects in order to be more "Metroid," the atmosphere is probably second to the controls and handling of Samus on my list of priorities.. I don't think I really care that much about how linear or story driven they are.

edit-
I have not pixelled anything in ages, at least I still feel disappointed knowing that.. I'll try to be more active here again.
btw Ptoing, did anything ever come of that U-head concept?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 02:06:53 pm by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #1786 on: September 20, 2010, 02:12:17 pm
All I can say is that U-Head is on hiatus, but not considered dead. I am doing other stuff atm, which might help with U-Head later on.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Sly

• View Profile

Reply #1787 on: September 20, 2010, 03:05:49 pm
I feel stupid now...
Anyways, I looked everywhere, and the best solution I found was just to downgrade back to FF2, which saddens me greatly.
Not to derail the thread or anything ^^.

I added another post to that linked topic that has a very good fix for all of the web. =D
No zombies here.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #1788 on: September 20, 2010, 03:11:44 pm
Mother of fuck.

Now sweden, too, has a nationalist party in the parliament. HALLE FUCKING LUJAH. This is spreading like a coating of smellypoo over europe. This country will advance nowhere if there's a goddamn party of clowns trying to blame everything that ever seems a bit wrong on the immigrants. Oh god damn it all. I even redrew my rage face in honor of the occasion.

ARGH
' _ '

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #1789 on: September 20, 2010, 03:28:05 pm
At least they didn't get to be part of a ruling coalition yet, not to speak of being second strongest party. The entire political spectrum suffers from a pretty bad offset towards the right in Austria :(

On the topic of rationalizing nostalgia (as seen in Arne SMB thread):

http://moistproduction.blogspot.com/2010/09/mario-anatomy-sculpt.html

Also a nice find remotely related:

http://www.disgruntleddesigner.com/chrisc/secret/weekly/Stars_of_the_Family_Computer.html

And strike 3:

http://vimeo.com/15021852