AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004406 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #1770 on: September 15, 2010, 05:04:34 am
Other M seems really dumbed down. Samus dodges by default? I'm sure it can become challenging even with all the provisionary handholding, but it still sounds flimsy.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #1771 on: September 15, 2010, 05:29:17 am
Didn't play it but I watched this.
Maybe that guy is exaggerating, I wouldn't know, but... samus now has to ask permission to use the guns she already has?
That alone is... wow.
The next thing we know is that adam asks why she left the kitchen after she tells him that she killed ridley and saved the universe from all evil there is.

Maybe the gameplay is fun but I'm the kind of gamer who allowed tidus to single-handedly ruin all of final fantasy 10.
Making the maincharacter babble is also part of what ruined the sonic the hedgehog series. Some characters were just meant to stay silent.

Speaking of that, isaac will talk in dead space 2.
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1772 on: September 15, 2010, 05:51:55 am
It's the sort of stuff that makes sense from a marketing standpoint to do ("I know [how we can make this sequel appear new], extended emotional cutscenes!/our protagonist takes off his helmet/he has a brotherfathersister") but if anything neither they or the noise they create in the playing public help the game become better, just more bogged down.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #1773 on: September 15, 2010, 06:50:57 am
I got paid to test Prime trilogy for about 2 months 5 days a week 8 hours a day. This might skew my judgement a bit. As much a I enjoyed it I've found other M to be more entertaining than prime, but in a different manner.

Also I'm able to play the game for free, my girlfriend works at nintendo, so I can understand someone dropping $60 and not getting what they want.

Mostly whether you enjoy something or not is based on expectations so if you thought it would be the most amazing game ever it probly wont.

Ha yah alot of the voice and story is laughable but I somehow have a higher tolerance to that stuff than others. Remember the dialog and voice acting in House of the Dead 2?  :lol:  But it was still a fun game. However I agree it slows the pace of the the game a lot. I liked how Prime started and flowed. And the older metroids (and almost all older games) started even faster and then you just play.

I can understand how people feel. We used to be kids and play a ton of games but as adults we barely have time. So the time we spend on games we want to be perfect. But its at least worth checking out at a friends house.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1774 on: September 15, 2010, 07:37:55 am
Metroid is often revered for the feeling of exploration involved. Well it's still metal doors walling off discrete screens filled with re-spawning enemies and bosses, just in a mixed up order. I think the 'metroidvania' thing is overstated, it's not really exploration and it's not exploration I'm after when I enjoy Super Metroid. It's the feeling of being left alone, of traversing the environment in solitude and getting stuff done at my pace that I like in that game. And besides - allegedly, I've only played 5 minutes of it - Metroid Prime 1, the rest of the the Metroid games since have been chatty and hand-holdy and constantly intrusive, so the Other M thing doesn't really shock me that much. I don't care about Samus, who is Samus, even? When I play Super Metroid, *I* am the person going around on the planet, not some Samus.

So my problem isn't that they misrepresent Samus's personality in the newer game, it's that Samus even has a voice and a face. I don't care about that stuff, the meta-plot inf these games is vapid at best. I just want to go around a well-crafted platform game at my own pace, in my solitude. Super Metroid is like a sensory deprivation tank for me, I think about different shit when I go around it, I don't think about Samus's personality. And if I want people around, I'll invite my friends and we'll swap the controller around and talk about the game.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 07:39:43 am by Helm »

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #1775 on: September 19, 2010, 04:56:53 am
well said.

I think that feeling of playing a game and accomplishing things yourself without sign posts and characters handing out verbal solutions is less common in big production games these days. Part of it is marketing, reaching a wider audience makes more money, and that wider audience includes people that become frustrated without help or don't want to learn and read a visual language that determines success or utter loss. And thats what the old metroid and plenty of other games did. Hints/advice were clearly and sometimes subtly given, but they were in the form of visual words. Its a satisfying experience. The developers expected you to translate and if you couldn't see it at first, try again. if you can't see/read it, go get someone else and maybe they can.

Of course visual communication is still around in every game, but is not the main focus of the experience. Not to say it doesn't exist and can never be. It's more likely to see that type of gaming coming from indie studios. Our school is flooded with a new game design degree and I've had many of the teachers that they will have. If you turn in something like that they will tell you its stupid and unpolished and un-playble by human beings and smack you with a spoon until you agree. I've had similar experiences with ceo's.

No negativity intended. This is not the dark era of games. There is still plenty to learn, experience, and accomplish.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #1776 on: September 19, 2010, 01:03:26 pm
Part of it is marketing, reaching a wider audience makes more money, and that wider audience includes people that become frustrated without help or don't want to learn and read a visual language that determines success or utter loss.

Id say its just lazy game design honestly. Especially since this metroid simplifies the game so much, a lengthy tutorial shouldnt be needed. If you design a game properly you should be able to teach your players how to play your game with out them feeling the stress of learning. A tutorial is actually much more of a burden on a player than easing the mechanics on but a tutorial is much less of a burden on the developers and the companies wallet. I watched a playthrough of about 15 minutes of Other M and I think my biggest concern is the loss of atmosphere other than of course the dumbing down of the gameplay. (Also. Why would your commanding officer deny you of your Varia suit when he knows you are going to be slowly dying in a volcano??? Thats just stupid!)

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #1777 on: September 19, 2010, 04:35:31 pm
Yeah.
Everything also still seems to have that silly obligation to look as pretty as possible nowadays.
Just look at this castlevania trailer. Seems that, right along with golden axe, will turn into a god of war too now.
I thought now that we finally reached photo-realism, the idea of gameplay and unique concepts would make a comeback but instead, everything becomes just more and more generic or so it seems.

Makes sense from a marketing standpoint, don't take risks and appeal to as many audiences as you can.

Edit: woah what happened to the site?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1778 on: September 19, 2010, 04:38:54 pm
Awesome new skin my mia.

I don't think we've reached photorealism yet. Not by a long shot.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #1779 on: September 19, 2010, 04:45:55 pm
Awesome new skin my mia.

I don't think we've reached photorealism yet. Not by a long shot.
:y:

That shot can't be that long if you ask me.
Soon some new 3d mumbo jumbo will allow for an arbitrary amount of scalable detail and bam, we're almost there.
Like hardware tesselation.
From there on, it's just a matter of convincing animations which is a whole different thing.
Opera fix Firefox fix