AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004374 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #1750 on: September 13, 2010, 05:02:09 am
Sure, everything is made up of pixels but this is about low-res games.
And I don't think Canabalt is low-res enough to be called blocky, nor do I think blocky should be a term used to describe low-res or pixel-art, but a style. Call it pixel-art, call it retro, call it old-school... I just don't think blocky is a complimentary term.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #1751 on: September 13, 2010, 05:10:07 am
Like I said, you just don't like the word.
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #1752 on: September 13, 2010, 06:25:40 am
Like I said, you just don't like the word.
That's grossly simplifying the whole discussion to somehow make your point more appealing, but it doesn't really work in this case.

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #1753 on: September 13, 2010, 06:33:50 am
9_6, you're seeming very arrogant in this discussion, would be nice for you to just chill n such.

I have nothing else to add.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #1754 on: September 13, 2010, 07:11:14 am
That's grossly simplifying the whole discussion to somehow make your point more appealing, but it doesn't really work in this case.
What does that even mean?
I have no idea how you can possibly argue against upscaled pixels becoming blocks, really.

You asked if "blocky" can even be used to describe pixel art. It kinda does describe what pixel art is all about, doesn't it.
Placing blocks. Pushing pixels. Using a low resolution and zooming in.
Zooming in.
Zoom into something and you'll eventually see blocks.
Maybe you look at tone over content when calling me arrogant for saying there's no room to argue against that but where exactly are your arguments against this again?

You have not yet provided anything of substance to give your point a foundation apart from "I don't like this word".
I don't see how your point has any more validity then mine, then again, you use the term "appealing" which probably means you don't look at this objectively anyway.

Calling an upscaled low-res game "blocky" doesn't even have the same negative vibe as calling loud metal music "noisy".
Maybe it's a clumsy formulation but it's not entirely wrong.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 07:21:49 am by 9_6 »
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #1755 on: September 13, 2010, 07:19:00 am
What does that even mean?
I have no idea how you can possibly argue against upscaled pixels becoming blocks, really.

You asked if "blocky" can even be used to describe pixel art. It kinda does describe what pixel art is all about, doesn't it.
Placing blocks. Pushing pixels. Using a low resolution and zooming in.
Zooming in.
Zoom into something and you'll eventually see blocks.

You have not yet provided anything of substance to give your point a foundation apart from "I don't like this word".
I don't see how your point has any more validity then mine, then again, you use the term "appealing" which probably means you don't look at this objectively anyway.

Calling an upscaled low-res game "blocky" doesn't even have the same negative vibe as calling loud metal music "noisy".
Then you've done nothing but ignore every post I've made since this discussion started. You keep mentioning "upscaled pixels" but I have time and time again never mentioned them, but I have mentioned resolution, but you seem to just dismiss that.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #1756 on: September 13, 2010, 07:23:09 am
So does canabalt not get stretched to fill the big screen of the I-pad?
Does it use the native resolution?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #1757 on: September 13, 2010, 11:37:40 am
I don't even realize what the discussion is about here, guys. Blocky or not blocky?

I don't know. I think the reviewer was trying to actually justify the style for potential buyers; don't dismiss the style that is blocky just because it is - it's intended.

That kind of thing - pixels at a native resolution do tesselate in a square grid, but they don't often look blocky. When they are scaled up, the individual pixels start to constitute sharp edges of the squares, and the result could be described as blocky.

Basically I'm with 9_6, but 9_6, you could try to be a little less zealous about proving Dusty wrong, lest this turn into 'you obviously don't understand my point in the first place so I'll start to convince you why you're an idiot instead' party times.
' _ '

Offline 7321551

• a.k.a. Jarrad
    • View Profile

Reply #1758 on: September 13, 2010, 01:16:30 pm
Was there an earlier version of Canabalt without music? Just sound effects?
I seem to remember it feeling more atmospheric, in an isolated sort-of way... & I've always considered lack of music to enhance that feeling. So I'm wondering.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1759 on: September 13, 2010, 03:19:05 pm
There is no discussion.

Try not to post argument after argument and at the same time say stuff like this, it paints you in a bad light. If you're feeling trollish, I suggest you go blow off some steam in some other place.