AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004275 times)

Offline Sly

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #1680 on: August 05, 2010, 11:51:24 am
What? How did you manage to merge that topic with this? D:

Anyways does anyone know of a good tablet for drawing?

I was thinking about getting Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch but I'm not sure if I should just go for a Wacom Intuos instead.
No zombies here.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #1681 on: August 05, 2010, 12:27:17 pm
Seem's like Jad's "FLAME OF GAME DEVELOPING" sparked something in the back of my head last month and evolved into an idea that just now made me quit my current job, after 4 years.  ;D
Something good will come out of this, I'm sure. Otherwise, damn you Jad.

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)

Reply #1682 on: August 05, 2010, 01:39:04 pm
What? How did you manage to merge that topic with this? D:

Anyways does anyone know of a good tablet for drawing?

I was thinking about getting Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch but I'm not sure if I should just go for a Wacom Intuos instead.

The Bamboo Pen & Touch is ok, I owned one for 2 days before returning it for an Intuos 4.  It depends on your level of workflow stubbornness :P.  I'm a guy that lives and dies by keybindings and function customization. While the Bamboo Pen & Touch would have been plenty fine for most pixel art needs, I could not live with it knowing that you cannot change any application specific settings. Each of the buttons on the side you can change their function to whatever you might need them to be (most of them anyway, if I recall), as is the same with the pen, but you can only have the settings be global.

By day I use Adobe's apps for mixed advertising and layout needs for work and by night I mess around in ProMotion and whatnot. That being the case, the button layout and function of my tablet - which I use basically 90% of my time on the computer whether at home or work - are never the same. That's where the Intuos shines (not to mention the awesome other functions like the huge range of pressure and tilt sensitivity the pen boasts and the always-useful precision mode).

But it's really a matter of knowing what you'll use it for and realizing the level of need you have for different aspects.  It's a difference of $100 between the Bamboo and a new Intuos 4 small tablet.  Can waive that problem if you're going for an older Intuos (less fun features, but still has good precision and customization compared to the bamboo, IMO). Also consider if the touch capabilities of the Pen & Touch will even be that valuable to you down the road, or if its novelty will wear off a week later. The multi-touch features are neat, and the 'gestures' seemed fun enough, but I found it more comfortable to just use a mouse.  I use a trackpad at home on the laptop, but I avoid it whenever possible, hehe.

I'd compare models myself though, if I were you, if you're serious about getting the right one for you.  They are an investment worth jumping at for sure, and this is coming from a poor schmuck that hates spending money.

http://www.wacom.com/

I gotta admit - something as trivial as the interchangeable pen tips really make a big difference in the experience you're getting out of it :P

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #1683 on: August 05, 2010, 02:19:35 pm
Seem's like Jad's "FLAME OF GAME DEVELOPING" sparked something in the back of my head last month and evolved into an idea that just now made me quit my current job, after 4 years.  ;D

WHY ARE YOU PUTTING ALL THIS RESPONSIBILITY ONTO ME

IT'S THE UNDELIVERED SECRET SANTA ISN'T IT!?
' _ '

Offline Sly

• View Profile

Reply #1684 on: August 05, 2010, 02:29:53 pm
Thank you Argyle for that post.   ;D

I think I'll go with the Wacom Bamboo. I'll get the Intuos later down the road once I get the hang of tablets and can produce something decent using it.
No zombies here.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #1685 on: August 05, 2010, 02:55:25 pm

WHY ARE YOU PUTTING ALL THIS RESPONSIBILITY ONTO ME

IT'S THE UNDELIVERED SECRET SANTA ISN'T IT!?
YES!

Every bad thing that's happened since roots back to the undelivered secret santa gift. It's a little sin that has grown roots and is now feeding on it's surroundings, growing, infecting others with evilness.

No I'm kidding. I'm headed to a new place for work with great awesome super people. Also there's some personal game projects underway that might kickstart something great and so forth.
It's all looking mighty good, so no worries  ;D

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #1686 on: August 05, 2010, 04:46:46 pm
No I'm kidding. I'm headed to a new place for work with great awesome super people. Also there's some personal game projects underway that might kickstart something great and so forth.
It's all looking mighty good, so no worries  ;D

No more SocialVille games? That's certainly an upward career move.

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Reply #1687 on: August 09, 2010, 05:58:17 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q73NsYxadaw
WTF with the awesomeness!!!
(friend of my brother was making it  :D)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 06:27:46 pm by Batlorder »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #1688 on: August 10, 2010, 04:38:19 pm
My Mom's taken an interest in my work ever since I've started paying rent. She walked in today while I was working and asked if I could make half squares, like triangles. I said no and then she asked if I could make circles.  I explained the nature of displays to her and showed her a zoomed in photo, then made a line and smoothed it.

"Couldn't they get a computer to do what you're doing?"

i told her i was a computer that could draw.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #1689 on: August 10, 2010, 08:10:37 pm
Hey Atnas! I checked out your drawings. I think you need give yourself a rule for a month to not draw anything in left profile or from the front. It could develop into a cancerous habit.
You're now showing serious symptoms of extreme right-handedness  :-\

Other than that, I think you're going to be a great awesome artist person in the future  ;D