AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004354 times)

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #1670 on: July 27, 2010, 11:15:45 am
Does anyone else get bilinear filtering applied to that pallete swap page when they try to zoom in (CTRL +)? I'm on ubuntu, which makes it all the more weirder ...

Do we have to go through all this bilinear filtering annoyance again with html5? :(

Offline McClaneGames

• Evan M
    • View Profile
    • NinetySix, Co.

Reply #1671 on: July 27, 2010, 12:30:41 pm
Using Opera 10.6 on Windows XP and Mac OS X Snowleopard without any problems zooming using the "Max Zoom" button.  Using CTRL +/CMD + doesn't do anything for me, it still stays at 100%

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #1672 on: July 30, 2010, 03:59:08 pm
Browsing the web brought me to the fact that used, older model PDAs can be bought for cheap ($30-50).  Typically  320x320 screen resolution and 16 bit color.  Battery life of several (6-8) hours, and they can be plugged in the wall.  Would this be useful as a portable pixelling tool, or an alternative to an expensive tablet?  Anyone try making pixel art with these things?

Tourist

Offline Sly

• View Profile

Reply #1673 on: July 31, 2010, 02:10:09 pm
Browsing the web brought me to the fact that used, older model PDAs can be bought for cheap ($30-50).  Typically  320x320 screen resolution and 16 bit color.  Battery life of several (6-8) hours, and they can be plugged in the wall.  Would this be useful as a portable pixelling tool, or an alternative to an expensive tablet?  Anyone try making pixel art with these things?

Tourist

I have a Palm IIIc and I did have a pixeling program on it. It was really slow and wasn't too responsive but that's probably because that palm is ancient.

I've been looking for a nice cheap portable pixeling tool.

Let me know if you find anything. =D
No zombies here.

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)

Reply #1674 on: August 01, 2010, 06:02:01 pm
I have a Palm Tungsten 2E that I got as a hand-me down and it isn't TOO old, really.  It has its functions and it is a handy thing to take notes on in the store or at work and I use it for my car MP3 player.  The problem, at least with the model that I have anyway, is that the stylus calibration is completely borked.  No matter how many times I calibrate the touch screen on it, it's highly inaccurate. I did have a drawing program on there called Moe Paint (didn't have an english speaking developer and they suddenly stopped working on it at some point before I had even learned of its existence) that seemed like it would be something fun to pixel on, but with the terrible touch screen problems it was just annoying.  Not to mention that at some point the program stopped working completely.

So you might find something that might be decent for portable pixeling.  But I doubt it will ever be comparable to getting an old used tablet online in terms of the value of use you will get out of it for pixeling.  Because there are so many new tablets out there like the awesome Intuos 4 (I finally sprung for a small version of it for my birthday last year and I looove it), you can find old Intuos 2 models or other similar models for pretty cheap on eBay sometimes. I sold my 6x8 intuos 2 for $40 to a friend when I got my new one. It was plenty perfect for pixel art needs, though.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #1675 on: August 03, 2010, 12:49:24 am
Interesting little flash game a friend showed me, its pretty cool, Halo 2600, at demake of Halo with Atari-esque gameplay/graphics/sounds: http://www.codemystics.com/halo2600/

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #1676 on: August 03, 2010, 04:51:02 am
Thanks for the info on the PDAs. 

Some of the reviews on Amazon report manufacturing problems with the Palm Tungsten series, thanks for confirming that, Argyle.  Based on that, I don't think I want to order a PDA unless I can take it for a test drive first.  The local used computer store didn't have any in stock.  I guess I'll have to pass on this for now.

Tourist

Offline Kasumi

• View Profile

Reply #1677 on: August 03, 2010, 08:37:03 pm
A couple things I'm curious about. Apologies if this would be better for a new topic, or another topic.

1. At the moment this board seems against roms of any kind. Would completely from scratch roms (Read not hacked from commercial roms in any away shape or form) be okay? The reason I ask is that sometimes people create NES mockups here and I could probably make a sorta easy way to get them into an NES rom that would work on a real NES. (Heck, I could provide photos from my TV) So one could see what the mockup would look like as a static image on the actual console. I wouldn't put someone's graphics in a rom this way without their permission. I just think it might be neat to have something like that out there. Any interest?

2. So far my only way of posting here has really been pointing out to people information about NES when their images don't meet the restrictions, or wouldn't be too viable for an actual game. I avoid it in topics where they only say it's NES style, or if they point out which limitations they know they've broken since it means they understand.

But I start to wonder, does anyone really care? 'Cause I could totally stop doing it if it's annoying. Question 1's rom would mostly take care of that anyway, since it obviously wouldn't allow things that aren't possible. (Though it would disallow some things that are possible with really tricky programming and wouldn't necessarily help with the viability for a game issue) Dunno, give me your thoughts.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 08:38:44 pm by Kasumi »
I make actual NES games. Thus, I'm the unofficial forum dealer of too much information about the NES

Offline Megamax

• View Profile

Reply #1678 on: August 05, 2010, 02:58:16 am
Im sorry if this is the wrong folder, but i couldnt find a better one to put it in. Does anyone have an answer?

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #1679 on: August 05, 2010, 04:27:43 am
I'm decent with Fusion. Be a little more specific about "fluttering" or post a sample file or image and I'd be happy to help.  :)

Also try searching or posting on the ClickTeam forums: http://www.clickteam.com/epicenter/
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1