AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1013590 times)

Offline 1ucas

• Prolific procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Toxic Dump

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #1500 on: March 29, 2010, 06:29:54 am
To me, graphics are only necessary to the level they are enough to convey the basic abstract meaning to the game mechanics, but for that they must be used properly. It's all about matching multiple contexts together.

For example, a mere triangle in Asteroids was enough for a spaceship, but only because the game responds to the user commands by moving it like a spaceship. If it moved like a car, the triangle would suddenly be considered a car. A square can be a bullet if it behaves like a bullet, but it could also be the free roaming hero, like in Atari's Adventure. Audio comes in handy here giving us a familiar contexts (explosions, bangs, crashes, splashes), but even the audio doesn't need to be very accurate.

But this is just game mechanics, in my opinion, which is rather bare in any meaning or purpose. Gameplay, at least to me, is the reason behind those chosen mechanics. If you just want to create a metaphor for life (like in Passage), a exploration-friendly fantasy world (Sword and Sworcery) or an action-adventure platformer, the mechanics will just be picked to convey that message. All the extra graphics, sounds, music and storylines are just there to deepen that purpose, to give it some extra meaning and maybe some other message. Gameplay is just the motivation for interaction, and "art games" try explore just that.

So what defines a good game to someone depends more of what level of concrete-ness they expect and understand from that certain gameplay, and if any of the features are too abstract or lacking, they'll feel like they're missing something. If you just can't imagine the square being your hero, then you won't feel motivated to be the square.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 06:34:12 am by 1ucas »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1501 on: March 29, 2010, 06:43:18 pm
Here's a story from today

My dad is 55 he's a political cartoonist. Back a decade they used to have big mac workstations at work. One of them was loaded with Ambrosia Software games. My dad is not a gamer, he hasn't spent time understanding them. But he liked Apeiron (a centipede clone) on the mac and he held the high-score even. At some point they started deleting the ambrosia games from the macs at work due to lowered productivity :P

So 10 years later my dad finally bought a laptop (windows 7) and he asked me if I could find Apeiron for him. I searched and found that it's mac-only and that I don't think I'll have much of a chance emulating mac on windows 7 64-bit. But I found another game called millenipede which runs on 64-bit systems. Gameplay's basically the same. He played it a little and seemed to feel disappointed and I asked why. He told me 'the graphics, it doesn't *feel* right. The worm (that's what he called Apeiron) had two cute little antennae and he was running over a desert... it's just not the same.

And we're talking about an old powermac game that looked like this:

some food for thought.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 06:44:58 pm by Helm »

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #1502 on: March 29, 2010, 07:28:57 pm
funny enough, my dad was addicted to this game as well while I was growing up.  I remember him playing it every day - the high score list flooded with his name

Offline Reo

• aka MechaBarbarian
    • MechaBarbarian
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11318.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #1503 on: March 29, 2010, 07:46:06 pm
funny enough, my dad was addicted to this game as well while I was growing up.  I remember him playing it every day - the high score list flooded with his name
WOW The exact same with my dad!  :o
He's by no means a gamer at all, but he loved to play this game on our old mac!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 08:00:02 pm by Reo »

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #1504 on: March 29, 2010, 07:51:07 pm
Could be a nice Father's day project for you guys to recreate this game on Windows platform...maybe with a bit of improvement as well.
my back hurts...

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #1505 on: March 30, 2010, 02:49:27 am
**EDIT  -  wait, does this mean I agree with Gil!?!?

Muhahahaha, join me, and together we will rule the universe  !yus!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1506 on: March 30, 2010, 05:24:58 am
It's still just a centipede clone... besides I don't think he'd be happy unless it was exactly Apeiron. Still... it's an idea. We could whip up the graphics in a couple of days at most but I don't know about the code.

Offline Jorund

• View Profile

Reply #1507 on: March 30, 2010, 12:19:41 pm
Maybe you could try installing MacOS X in the laptop if its compatible: OSx86, and buy the port to MacOSX Apeiron X.
If not, I think VMware or VirtualBox can run a 32bit system on a 64bit host.

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #1508 on: March 30, 2010, 03:10:31 pm
I know for certain VirtualBox can, I have to use it to run a few windows applications

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1509 on: March 30, 2010, 03:48:29 pm
God that's entirely too much work so my dad can play Apeiron!