AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004178 times)

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #1250 on: December 17, 2009, 04:56:53 pm
This looks pretty useful! I'm sure one of these colors has a few qualities that would help you work.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #1251 on: December 17, 2009, 11:26:24 pm
Anyone know when the version of firefox with the new rendering engine is supposed to come out? I saw a webpage saying 3.6 comes out this month. That would be pretty awesome if that was the version that finally adds optional filtering support

EDIT: tried downloading hte 3.6 beta. It's very polished, my addons work and the filtering iis disabled after following the instructions somebody posted on pixeljoint. Yay! no filtering!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 08:12:39 am by crab2selout.png »

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #1252 on: December 18, 2009, 05:04:38 am
Pretty awesome Pawige. Thanks :D

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #1253 on: December 19, 2009, 04:32:51 am
megaman needs to happen in the next thirteen days

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #1254 on: December 23, 2009, 05:12:57 am

I saw Avatar in 3D the other night, I ignored this movie and it's hype up until a few days before I saw it but I'm not sure that would matter.
What you guys have probably already heard is true, while the story isn't original it isn't bad, it's a classic story people have been telling for generations, I don't think there's anything wrong with that and it usually helps solidify a movie as a classic.
The CG is incredible and so is the 3D, they used the 3D pretty tastefully, no pingpong ball bouncing out to the screen, anything that pops out was just ambient stuff like leaves falling that really help immerse you.

Only thing I felt it was missing was a memorable score, nothing stuck out as bad, but I can't even remember a single note of any music in the movie, the Na'vi and their culture had obvious potential for some amazing music, but it's just not there.
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline khorin

• I ruled the forces that fueled your hate.
    • View Profile
    • Shizucor

Reply #1255 on: December 23, 2009, 05:40:37 am
Taka - I agree with you about the music. I really enjoyed the movie but felt that the awesomeness was incomplete because of the so-so music. They spent soooo much money on that movie but obviously, not a lot of it went to the music department.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #1256 on: December 23, 2009, 07:51:36 am
I also watched it. Awesome 3d.. And I agree with the simple story and the music is lacking.

Btw.. I HATE xs.to. Almost all of my crit edit images post are gone :(

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #1257 on: December 23, 2009, 09:20:53 am
The so-so movie plot was tolerable for me, taking into account the amount of background story they didn't spell out for you.  It was dripping with Celtic mythological/cultural affinities and political narrative.  Though some of the political narrative was a bit off-putting such as the random bush speech they slapped in.  The 'tree of life' concept is directly druid, and is quite fun to research into.  I also felt it did a great job of presenting two alternate ways of looking at the Gaia belief - one of science, and one from an indigenous religious perspective.  Very very cool stuff.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 09:25:33 am by Indigo »

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #1258 on: December 23, 2009, 10:05:39 am
 I also felt it did a great job of presenting two alternate ways of looking at the Gaia belief - one of science, and one from an indigenous religious perspective.

I thought it was quite refreshing that for once the scientists were the good guys in a scifi movie.

The cg scenery art was good but it wasn't anything that hadn't already been seen in various fantasy illustrations decades ago, Roger Dean being an obvious influence.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1259 on: December 25, 2009, 03:36:36 am

well, that stopped working. As you see I've chucked a desktop fan in there to keep the graphics card cool for a while but I need a longer term solution. Do you think this is replacable?