AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1011662 times)

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #1180 on: November 23, 2009, 03:54:30 pm
Any builds of this beauty floating around anywhere yet?

Soonish.  The engines pretty much sorted but there's several crucial things I need to finish before a demo can be released such as a few level objects and notice the lizardy trooper guys aren't paying any real attention to the player character in the top right shot.  They're what I'm working on right now.  They're a bit more complex in behaviour than what I would normally do but I think it's worth the extra work.
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #1181 on: November 24, 2009, 09:29:54 am
I've been playing Braid and I feel a need to express some criticism. The graphs are awesome but I detect a lot of dodge/burn brush usage.. it would've been better with less of that sort of thing. The gameplay is good abd responsive, but playing itself feels more like work than having fun, because the levels and puzzles are built in a way that you can't ever relax and fool around, you need to be giving a 100% performance all the time in order to beat the levels. Some simple monster bashing levels here and there would've made playing it less exhausting.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1182 on: November 24, 2009, 10:38:02 am
At times it's not a fun game to play and at other times it demands that you put it down for a duration, I feel both are warranted emotions given what the game's about.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #1183 on: November 24, 2009, 01:26:54 pm
At times it's not a fun game to play and at other times it demands that you put it down for a duration, I feel both are warranted emotions given what the game's about.

I suppose so. It feels good to solve a puzzle, but it doesn't get you hooked like puzzle games normally do.

Anyway, what I'd really like to play is a platformer which obviously has good controls but is also atmopspheric, not too hectic (the pace being mid-tempo or slow) and that's sort of traditional and relaxing, has some puzzles, gem/fruit collecting and monster bashing in it.. no need for fresh or contemporary ideas (like in Braid or Littlebigplanet). Maybe the Giana Sisters DS would be just the game for me.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #1184 on: November 24, 2009, 02:06:33 pm
I haven't played all the way through Braid, the only thing that threw me off with that game is the writing. There's poetry and then there's pretentious essays... and Blow falls on the wrong side of that line.

Speaking of indie games has anyone played Machinarium yet? I'm a good ways into it and it's lovely - good example of both games as art and games as a storytelling medium. I haven't been this charmed by a game since Little Big Planet.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 02:08:39 pm by Ben2theEdge »
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #1185 on: November 24, 2009, 02:13:12 pm
I got Machinarium and I finished it. Very nice game, charming art and music.

It has a bunch of slight annoyances but nothing too bad.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #1186 on: November 24, 2009, 10:09:08 pm
I played the demo for Machinarium and really liked the atmosphere and design. Might get it.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #1187 on: November 24, 2009, 10:19:09 pm
Oh man, I love Machinarium.  I'm taking it in real slow and savoring each little bit.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #1188 on: November 25, 2009, 08:51:53 pm
Jad, everyone wants to use my incredibly original name!

Yes, lovely graphics in Machinarium. I wish I had the patience/motivation to play through it so I could all of the cool gfx in it, but like most games - I do not . . .

--And Happy Day, I've finally gotten myself to take a serious stab at digi painting. Watched several process vidoes on youtube, studied up, and am now practicing. My justification for the time needed to understand how it's done is a current project featuring cartoony illustrations of character they had me come up with, so what I'm going for is clay-modeled looking cartoonyness with bold black outlines . . . yeah.

All I'm really using is a hard-edged brush, with lots of opacity stroking, layering on the color slowly/gradually. NO DODGE/BURN used at all, goal is to use none. Wow, Tool Presets is a wonderful thing I've found! (oh, I'm using Photoshop, as usual)

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #1189 on: November 26, 2009, 09:24:38 pm
lookin' good, Mathias!

Happy thanksgiving, everyone! I'm off to have a wonderful meal with my entire family :O