AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004378 times)

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #1130 on: November 04, 2009, 08:57:03 am
Weird road story here too - some terrible driver yesterday had a kid on a bike hanging off his rear bumper and didn't seem to realize it, so I tried to cut him off and get him to slow down. He just honked his horn at me, drowning out the screams of the poor kid being dragged along the road! I ended up following him for ages before he pulled into a driveway and finally got out - oh, waitaminute...

Having only recently gotten into the whole driving thing (documented a few posts back, actually) I'm just starting to get the hang of this whole road rage thing. Mostly it's rage at people calling me when I'm driving - I can't change a radio station without veering off the road, and I went through a red light* yesterday trying to tell my fiancé who'd called to stay INSIDE and wait at work if there are creepy people outside in a random street she doesn't have to wait for me in >_<

But there are so many idiots. EVERYONE in Melbourne speeds. And so many people do not indicate before overtaking or merging. Or people get pissed because you're not doing the speed limit BEFORE you pass the sign. Eesh.

*Light turns green, arrow stays red, I always find them easy to mess up on. About a half dozen cars followed me through when I made the mistake!!

Oh, and my hard drive failed. A newer one. With many of my old birdie photos. The PC it was in had been switched off (on the PSU) for months and never had problems, but somehow it died when I turned it on - to back everything up. XD Apparently freezing it in a sealed bag might get it to work for a few minutes...
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #1131 on: November 07, 2009, 07:28:14 pm
First kiss~! .   3 .

i missed

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #1132 on: November 07, 2009, 11:20:45 pm
loflmao - and grats.

I've never heard of a first kiss going down flawlessly. They've always been mini-disaster stories.
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #1133 on: November 08, 2009, 01:34:59 am
I finally beat Spelunky! I am pathetic! But it feels so good!  :crazy:

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #1134 on: November 08, 2009, 05:02:54 pm
I've never heard of a first kiss going down flawlessly. They've always been mini-disaster stories.

I don't know, seems like I defy that rule then. Takes a while to find the right moment, but once it's there, it's easy.

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #1135 on: November 09, 2009, 05:22:37 pm
lurk=off

The company that I work for as a Software Developer recently moved further into the city and as a result I spend around 2x20 minutes on the subway each day.
So today after work, I bought myself a small sketchbook, thinking I should put that time to good use instead of just sitting around listening to the idle gossip of the other passengers all the time.

Alright, so armed with that new sketchbook and the pencil that I already put into my pocket this morning I went back to the subway, got a little annoyed that I couldn't get a seat in one of the corners of the wagon at first (still got one later and no I don't know why it's important to me to get a seat in a corner (maybe it's because I'm a bit shy and want to hide what I'm doing)), opened the book and stared at the first blank page.

"Now what to draw" I thought and then just started drawing leafs and turned the thing into a small bush with some grass below and suddenly I had already reached my destination.

Lessons learned: 1.) It's unnecessary to worry about other people on the subway taking an interest in what I do and even more pointless to worry about them starting to talk to me, because everybody seems to be pretty busy with themselves or busy trying hard to put on a blank face or busy burying their noses into their books and magazines.
2.) Time flies when you do what you love.
3.) It's difficult to draw clean lines and curves with all the heavy rumbling and shaking from the train.
4.) I need to do this more often to gain more self confidence and so that I really stop feeling watched eventually.

Questions:
Anyone else sketch on their way to/from work?
Do you draw from imagination or do you draw the people on the train/bus?
If you draw the people, do you ask them for permission or do you just try to draw them without them noticing? (e.g. draw the people a bit further away, who are busy doing something(reading, looking out of the windows) and not the ones directly in front of you)

edit: (almost forgot, here's the little thingy (didn't know where to put this as the doodle thread only seemed to be for pixelart doodles)

lurk=on
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 05:39:23 pm by Dennis »

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #1136 on: November 09, 2009, 06:12:02 pm
Actually my first kiss was pretty darn fantastic. On a hillside with indie-rock blaring at the festival down below on a beautiful day, and we had just eaten sandwiches so she tasted like peanut butter.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #1137 on: November 09, 2009, 06:59:11 pm
damn, straight out of an indie chick flick. nice.

mine was boring, but nothing went wrong...we were watching a movie. that's about it . positive experiences for the win!  :y:

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1138 on: November 09, 2009, 08:34:23 pm
my first goat was very receptive

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #1139 on: November 10, 2009, 11:53:30 am
my first goat was very receptive
hahaha, that doesnt sound too different from MY first kiss! I was into being dramatic and punishing myself at the time