AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004139 times)

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #1080 on: September 19, 2009, 05:24:15 pm
Abuse?

Thanks but hell no.  I still can't stand any game with mouse aiming.  And the game I recall didn't look like that at all.  It looked more.. japanese.  Pixelly.  Not sure how to describe it.  I'm sure the guy's suit was blue.
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #1081 on: September 20, 2009, 12:19:53 am
Traffic is already a dangerous hellhole when you're sticking to the rules

Agreed. Out here where I am atm on country roads everything's just dandy - with no traffic and miles of straight road with beautiful skies and mountains in the distance, it's as pleasant as could be and one is even tempted, occasionally, to sit at the speed limit. I still imagine and automatic turret popping up out of the bonnet and blasting away whenever someone speeds by, though, especially when it's a cop who isn't chasing anyone, doesn't have his lights on and is doing about 40 over the speed limit.

So much worse in the city (Melbourne) - so much panic everywhere. And drivers ignoring the basics.

The rule here is do not speed up until AFTER you reach the sign, and reach the 'slow down speed' BEFORE you reach the sign, yet I have idiots pushing away behind me to hit 100 the moment the sign hits the horizon. People seem to think the right hand lane gives you the right to ignore the speed limit.

Apparently the P in my Probationary license stands for 'Pissing You Off'.

90s - 2001
Console type, 2d arcade platform
Japanese
fairly generic futuristic blue-ish metal armor suit (but I don't think he wore a helmet)
low resolution
'by the numbers' kind of game

I was so going to say Megaman until I saw the helmet line. :P Remember anything about the enemies or the story or what sort of gameplay was involved?

*goes back to reading about REBOL*
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 12:22:27 am by Scribblette »
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #1082 on: September 20, 2009, 02:45:18 am
Can anyone help me find the name of a game I used to enjoy on my friends PC back in the late 90's or 2000/2001?  It's quite a console type thing being a 2D arcadey platform game.  Felt very japanese compared to other PC games of the time.  I'd know it if I saw an image of it.  The main character I seem to recall wore a fairly generic futuristic blue-ish metal armor suit (but I don't think he wore a helmet) and I think it was low resolution (part of why I liked it).
Halloween Harry has a blue helmet.

A.K.A. Alien Carnage

The first game runs fine under DOSBox, but I've never managed to get the second game running at all. First game is freeware now.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 02:54:20 am by surt »

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile

Reply #1083 on: September 20, 2009, 07:28:02 am
I was so going to say Megaman until I saw the helmet line. :P Remember anything about the enemies or the story or what sort of gameplay was involved?

It was straight forward left to right, I think hack n slash (I can't remember if there were any guns usable by the player).  And the enemies I think were mostly robots or people in metal suits too.

Halloween Harry has a blue helmet.

I know that game and it wasn't that.  This was more 'serious' and the character proportions more realistic (well in that heroic game character/saturday morning cartoon sorta way I guess).  I'm starting to think it was so obscure I may never find it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 07:29:52 am by Carnivac »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1084 on: September 20, 2009, 07:47:59 am

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile

Reply #1085 on: September 20, 2009, 07:53:42 am
Hm, no it wasn't that but that does look like my kind of game.  Thanks for that.  I'm gonna go find that and give it a go.

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #1086 on: September 20, 2009, 07:55:00 am
Tempted to take a break from all the art study and learn to code a bit…

Learn C. All else is peripheral.

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #1087 on: September 20, 2009, 08:15:43 am
Learn C. All else is peripheral.

Eee... I was thinking something less hardcore and painful to learn. Along the lines of no coding confidence, hated java at uni (10 years ago, though), found Ruby in RpgMakerXP vaguely comprehensible and realized could handle something a little better than that, etc. End-user coding type... stuff. What be used in making apps on Facebook or web browser games - not what be used in making alternate universes.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 08:33:20 am by Scribblette »
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #1088 on: September 20, 2009, 01:34:18 pm
As an artist I find Ruby very intuitive! show me C++ or Java or PHP and I can't really read it too well, it's not as spatially recognizable.

Code: [Select]
class Pixel
attr_accessor :color, :x, :y

def initialize(color, x, y)
@color = color
@x = x
@y = y
end

def draw
@color.draw(@x,@y)
end

end

specific drawing syntax aside, that's a pixel.

If I wanted to make a new pixel I'd just do Pixel.new(color, x, y), and the arguments could be filled in by whatever color is currently selected, and the mouse x and y. (how you handle those is based on what input/graphic libraries you use with ruby) Very straightforward simple but powerful language!

Back when I used RMXP I had no idea how to read or write ruby haa. But it's a very different deal writing it outside of an engine with different sound and graphic libs. Makes me happy whenever I write in it <3

not to mention you can write programs to do your math homework easily hohoho~

I know twitter is done with ruby, so if you really want to get into web apps, rubyonrails is a really great thing.

Theres also flash, AdamAtomic here has his very own flixel lib for creating flash games rather simply with actionscript.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #1089 on: September 20, 2009, 08:18:59 pm
Hmm, I was going through the pixel art thread, and noticed several thread topics have "[WIP]" next to them; is this now required to be placed on a thread if it's meant to be a wip or something, or is this the mods doing this for constructive purposes? And the threads that don't have Wip assigned to it, are they just meant for gallery type comments, and light critique? Just to clarify, this isn't meant as a complaint, I'm just curious as to if this is something new that pixelation is doing, for future reference. Any one know, or have I missed something?
my back hurts...