AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004179 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #800 on: May 29, 2009, 05:52:23 pm
One week for a frame? the fuck? That sounds hella slow.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #801 on: May 29, 2009, 06:24:42 pm
It says it takes the director about a week to trace and make the stuff for 1 character, so I supposed a single frame, especially seeing how a rough character takes them 3 days and a finished full one 6 months+.
Maybe he just traces all the frames needed in one week and has other people finishing them for half a year *shrugs*.
They don't really go too deep in the process explanation.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 06:37:53 pm by Panda »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #802 on: May 29, 2009, 08:00:51 pm
the sprites are terrible

Would make much more sense just to use the straight renders if they can't do the pixel art renditions very well.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #803 on: May 29, 2009, 09:20:17 pm
The rendering logic in these sprites is completely balled out (direct translation of swedish expression ftw)

Loads of buffer shades but no AA, again lots of buffer shades to create smoothness but banding that counteracts it, and as previously stated lots of animation without animation fluff applied (i.e. no bending/squashing/stretching/blurring) and in the end LOADS of flashy glowy alpha-channel rainbow effects that effectively obscures anything that might translate to a feeling of impact from fists and feet hitting man and woman fighter meat.

I'm a bit sorry. It's not horrible but the lost potential just SHIIINES out of these sprites D:

Pig people are fantastic though.
' _ '

Offline Squiggly_P

• View Profile

Reply #804 on: May 30, 2009, 05:43:10 am
I think the way they've lit them is gonna kill a lot of the effect.  Look at the Egypt stage.  It's dim and red and the ligthing is from the bottom.

Now look at the characters...  They're high contrast and lit by white light from above.

See...  I always thought that most 2D games avoided really emphasizing things like light direction and high contrast lighting for this exact reason...  you'd have to design the characters and stages to conform to some specific rules about lighting and light sources, and it would have to be from directly above, or flipped sprites would be lit from opposite directions...  The only stage that would make sense with their ligthing would be a prison yard stage at night or dusk with searchlights following the characters or something like that.  I don't see them fitting into any other environment really well, especially not something lit so differently as that Egypt stage...

I'd like to think most people won't notice, but that seems like it would stand out a lot.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #805 on: May 30, 2009, 09:42:35 am
now their pipeline doesn't seem very efficient
basing it off a 3D model can work, but you really lack control over small detail elements when animating like that
you might as well just sketch out a few figures in the time you make the 3D model  and animate that
and have your animation planned like that much better

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #806 on: May 30, 2009, 12:10:01 pm
I.. like the palette?

It's a shame to see Street Fighter and KOF sporting such disappointing graphics.. I think KOF is at least an improvement over SFIIHD though.
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #807 on: May 30, 2009, 04:31:53 pm
The time listed probably takes into account the tweaking and bouncing back and forth between q&a/testing and the development team, something that is especially crucial for a fighting game I'd wager. You can't make all the graphics 100% correct from the start.

And Hey Hey c'mon! Let's be honest, the reason why people are ragging on these graphics is because there's some 3D involvement. They don't look worse than anything in the KOF series so far. I'm honestly surprised they got such a good result out of making it this way.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #808 on: May 31, 2009, 02:16:51 am
Junkboy: What you talking bout mans, 3D in the pipeline is totally fine, it's just a little non-delicate animatey technique plus BANDING HELL that bugs me. And most people. I think.
' _ '

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #809 on: May 31, 2009, 01:12:38 pm
The rendering logic in these sprites is completely bollocksed

Fixed  :P

I would say that it all seems on-par with previous KOF games and overall the game is still quite pretty, but fun of animation is definitely diminished by locking it onto a 3D aperture. 3D tends to make everything sterile and lifeless because the ability to exaggerate space and proportion in 2D animation is what gives it so much life, and it's an effect that 3D animators have been trying to somehow convert over to their methods for decades now (and failing with a few exceptions). I am willing to guess that this is a pretty inexperienced team... not so much as SFIIHD but not that much better either. That would explain the completely bonkers workflow they're using, the ludcirous amount of time it takes, and the religious devotion to accurate proportions instead of more adventurous, expressive animations (or criminy, even motion blurs and such) But the end result I think will still be 100x superior to SFIIHD. I'll be reserving final judgment until I see the whole game in context, I think.
I mild from suffer dislexia.