AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1013428 times)

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #2590 on: August 08, 2012, 08:39:45 pm
I think we could remove the server move thread

That one's brand new! :'( Did you even read it?
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #2591 on: August 08, 2012, 10:00:06 pm
RETRO POST, most people will probably miss this but oh well, that big fat image was bloating the thread, and didn't want a blank post so I'll type here just to be different.

I probably need to look at more books, although I have a subscription to ImagineFX which is a pretty good concentrated dose of digital art and is quite inspirational and often insightful, once I start struggling too much I'll probably seek some direction from books etc or even feedback from the community here or elsewhere, as is I just try figuring out most of it myself and come up with my own approaches, while taking examples and reference from places, probably a pretty time intensive approach but it pays of in the synapses that fire and form and it's proven that learning and formulating your own approach to things reinforces your recall of the techniques over approaching things via existing methods or trying to learn certain approaches, most only a percentage of what you learn is retained, but if the thoughts and observations are your own it sticks more, at least that's what I've come to believe
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 06:36:20 am by Grimsane »

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #2592 on: August 08, 2012, 10:20:45 pm
Yes, I have read it.  Server migration is complete, forum upgrade complete.  Good job.   Keep it around for a week in case anyone wants to report issues, but otherwise that topic is complete.  What more is there to discuss or convey?

The thread has already shifted to discussion of the reskin activity.  Which is at best redundant with the old reskin thread, and more likely pointless since you already have a plan (according to Ptoing's post).

Browsing the General Discussion forums at 1024x768, the entire first screen is sticky threads.  I think some of that can be pruned.  I could be wrong.

Tourist

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2593 on: August 09, 2012, 03:46:28 am

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #2594 on: August 09, 2012, 07:20:37 am
Mathias, that rabbit is a great artist!

Browsing the General Discussion forums at 1024x768, the entire first screen is sticky threads.
that is a bit unnerving for me too..

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #2595 on: August 09, 2012, 05:14:27 pm
I've revived the MLPforums' TF2 server, you're all invited to join us tomorrow for crumpets and tea the resurrected brony hangout time: http://mlpforums.com/topic/28307-tf2-on-mlp-forums-returns

Offline Lachie Dazdarian

• View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff

Reply #2596 on: August 11, 2012, 11:17:52 pm
Not sure I'm satisfied with The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain as someone eager to learn to draw. The upside-down exercises seem  unnecessary to me. I understand the point behind them, but really, if I'm going to learn to copy objects I see part by part by forgetting what they mean so to really see them...uh, I don't know. This doesn't seem like my problem at all. Controlling the line, shapes, getting proportions...that's my problem. Although the book is convincing and very well written. I guess I will have to trust her so far that the key is in seeing. Luckily I have two more books on drawing if her method fails on me.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #2597 on: August 12, 2012, 03:15:17 am
Do not dismiss those ideas so easily. You will be surprised how much your mind creates symbols of things instead of representations of what you see.

Our brains are not wired to "see" they are wired to translate and interpret.

I have problems with it still.

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #2598 on: August 12, 2012, 03:31:20 am
Lachie, that exercise was hard for me to get thru the first time as well. Actually, I went to a special art school in high school, so a lot of the book was stuff i had already learned. Keep in mind the book is meant to also help people who can barely draw a stick figure. The latter parts of the book are pure gold.

Offline Lachie Dazdarian

• View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff

Reply #2599 on: August 12, 2012, 04:47:02 pm
Wow, great to hear from Pixelation forum members supporting the book. Will keep going more motivated. Finished my upside down exercises! Reached the part where I need a transparent panel to continue. Hrm...