AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004601 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #2410 on: July 06, 2012, 06:54:07 am
You've got to be kidding me. Just now finding out that Shadow of the Collosus's main character is named Wander.

see project entropy thread to find out why this sucks x[

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #2411 on: July 06, 2012, 07:56:24 am
Just now finding out that Shadow of the Collosus's main character is named Wander.

Don't worry about it, especially since its coincidence.
If the name fits your character stick with it.

Of course there's many synonyms to choose from if you feel the name is tarnished (but it isn't):
Ramble, Meander, Roam, Rove, Range, Go, Lost

Or perhaps some sort of portmanteau/word jumble:
Walkalot, Traveligo, Gofar, Nevahoem

Its fun to be completely original.
But ideas are just ideas.
It's all about execution.
Usually it's not worth getting bent out of shape over similar ideas.
"Crap some one already drew a robot! Now it sucks to draw one!"

Personally I wouldn't have made the connection.
But I'm the type of person that thinks mostly about gameplay.
Usually when a game prompts me to name characters, I go with: Chumpy, Lumpy, etc.
Yes, a hero named Chumpy saved Hyrule, at least in my game.

However I can understand wanting to make a completely tight creation with everything being important down to the name of each character.
I just don't think that players will boot up your game and say "Wtf? Has the same name as SOTC? Lame!".
Your project seems fun and interesting enough that it won't matter.

Carnivac:
Good luck with the lady!
Once you get a comfortable number of dates, seal the deal with home cooking.
I have an amazing salmon recipe that swoons the heart if you are interested.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #2412 on: July 06, 2012, 08:03:30 am
PixelPiledriver: Thank your for the consolation, I think it was just a straw that broke the camels back after seeing the trailer for Journey and noting the vast desert landscape and textless gameplay. Also, perhaps the difference in gender will keep it acceptable.

Carnivac+PP: I concur with the home cooking, the ladies love it! And of course congratulations on the new found luck! You deserved a win!

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #2413 on: July 06, 2012, 08:21:01 am
PixelPiledriver: Thank your for the consolation, I think it was just a straw that broke the camels back after seeing the trailer for Journey and noting the vast desert landscape and textless gameplay. Also, perhaps the difference in gender will keep it acceptable.

Yeah, I think so..  Actually I always thought Wander was called Wanda. Technically it is 'Wanda' in Japanese, but I mean there's an actual name Wanda, and I never made the connection to the English word before.  (That's a girl's name though I think). 

In any case, remember the things that are important about the project, any elements have been done before don't detract from them. 

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Reply #2414 on: July 06, 2012, 08:35:04 am
I don't risk cooking for anybody.  I don't mind doing it for myself cos then it's just me I'm causing pain and repeated trips to the toilet to.  If I can use this money to get driving and find a new job then I can afford a new oven.  My current one is part of the reason every meal I cook in it tends to be awful.
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #2415 on: July 06, 2012, 05:52:05 pm
How come when I sneeze on my laptop screen (  :D ) and I look into the droplets left on the screen, it's like looking into a kaleidoscope of red green and blue only?

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #2416 on: July 06, 2012, 06:16:50 pm
Because the droplets magnify the screen and you actually see the subpixels, which are Red, Green, Blue. Red, Green and Blue light together makes White light. Red and Green makes Yellow. Red and Blue makes Magenta, Green and Blue makes Cyan. By combining them in different aspects and lightness you can make the RGB spectrum colours. And depending on the bitdepth per channel (Usually 8 bits per channel nowadays) you can get a different amount of total possible colours.

\o/
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #2417 on: July 06, 2012, 06:43:41 pm
You've got to be kidding me. Just now finding out that Shadow of the Collosus's main character is named Wander.

I could have sworn that Wander in SotC was a mistranslation and he was intended to have no name, but just be known as a wanderer. Either way, Wander is canon now either way :/

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #2418 on: July 06, 2012, 07:11:33 pm
The Japanese title is "ワンダと巨像" which reads "Wanda to Kyozou" and means "Wanda and the Colossus". So whether his name is supposed to be Wanda or Wander I dunno, but he certainly does have a name.

And as for mistranslation, there are PLENTY of Japanese words which mean wanderer, and Wanda is not one of them.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #2419 on: July 06, 2012, 08:04:17 pm
The Japanese title is "ワンダと巨像" which reads "Wanda to Kyozou" and means "Wanda and the Colossus". So whether his name is supposed to be Wanda or Wander I dunno, but he certainly does have a name.

And as for mistranslation, there are PLENTY of Japanese words which mean wanderer, and Wanda is not one of them.
Maybe I was thinking Wanda, instead of wanderer. I know there was a lot of confusion over his name translation when the game was still popular.