AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004706 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #2280 on: March 10, 2012, 08:38:34 am
I am so horrendously pissed at Pro Motion right now.

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #2281 on: March 10, 2012, 11:06:05 am
I feel your pain. I'll be switching to something else soon. Might even learn ScriptFu and try extending GIMP now that it's getting single window mode.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #2282 on: March 10, 2012, 02:28:19 pm
Huh? What happened with Pro Motion?

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #2283 on: March 10, 2012, 11:28:47 pm
Layers + Linking + Crashes + Lost Work + Facepalms

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #2284 on: March 11, 2012, 03:21:59 pm
I wish gale would support tile mapping so I wouldn't have to deal with pro motions funky hotkeys and quirks.
Is there even a way to replace colors? If there is, this fundamental functionality is so hidden underneath bullshit no one needs (wtf color cycling mode? Dotted drawing mode being the standard?) it's not even funny.
It's on par with blender in terms of non-intuitiveness except that blender, being a 3d modeling program, has an excuse to be complicated, big and scary.
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #2285 on: March 11, 2012, 03:58:57 pm
To deal with gale not having tilemaps, I wrote a mode for my map editor that loads the image a few times every second so i can get real time updates on how the tiles work together. Hacky solution, but it really is one of the only things missing from gale. That and mirrored drawing, then the package would be complete...

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #2286 on: March 11, 2012, 04:30:55 pm
I found that using the scroll feature (image -> scroll) is amazing for tiles because it allows me to make them seamless without having to tile them first.  It's a feature I would use even if there was proper tilemap support.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #2287 on: March 11, 2012, 06:09:12 pm
I wish gale would support tile mapping so I wouldn't have to deal with pro motions funky hotkeys and quirks.
Is there even a way to replace colors? If there is, this fundamental functionality is so hidden underneath bullshit no one needs (wtf color cycling mode? Dotted drawing mode being the standard?) it's not even funny.
It's on par with blender in terms of non-intuitiveness except that blender, being a 3d modeling program, has an excuse to be complicated, big and scary.

How about reading the included help? There are ways to change most shortcuts even.
And yes you can replace colours, in more than one way. But there is no simple Replace foreground with background colour functionality atm, you need to use a mask, which is easy enough.

KittenMaster: In the newest version of Promotion there is a neat thing where you can toggle a mode which tiles your image and you can make a pattern in realtime without shoving the canvas around. You can even set it to have horizontal or vertical offset.

As far as crashes and lost work goes. I have not lost ANY work in Promotion since 6.5 and not a lot since 6.0 even with crashes it always managed to make an emergency save.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #2288 on: March 11, 2012, 07:34:41 pm
KittenMaster: In the newest version of Promotion there is a neat thing where you can toggle a mode which tiles your image and you can make a pattern in realtime without shoving the canvas around. You can even set it to have horizontal or vertical offset.
Sounds good, but the only reason I haven't stuck with ProMotion is because the trial period ran out and I don't have the money for the full version.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #2289 on: March 11, 2012, 09:15:13 pm
How about reading the included help? There are ways to change most shortcuts even.
And yes you can replace colours, in more than one way. But there is no simple Replace foreground with background colour functionality atm, you need to use a mask, which is easy enough.

You have to open a dialog and select colors from the palette each time you do it?
Is that it? Cause that's a pretty tedious way to do such a simple task.

My point was that it is not intuitive at all, why do you think "read the manual" is a proper defense here?
Come on. It has a freaking color spray in the standard tool bar over a replace colors brush or a magic wand.
A color spray!
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix