AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004302 times)

Offline Kasumi

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #2210 on: November 09, 2011, 05:11:17 pm
Wow. Looks a lot like the Wii uDraw Tablet from last year. http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/15/thq-udraw-gametablet-for-wii-review/

Wii uDraw does have pressure, (so I've read) but I've never used it.
I make actual NES games. Thus, I'm the unofficial forum dealer of too much information about the NES

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)

Reply #2211 on: November 09, 2011, 05:55:54 pm
I'd like to share some thoughts about Cosmigo ProMotion.

I bought the V5.1 in July 2007 and used it ever since (no upgrade). These days I bought a new Computer (Asus EEE EP121 Slate) with Win7 64bit and 4GB of Rams. After installing ProMotion, I couldn't open a file or create a new one.
So I wrote an Email to Jan Zimmermann and asked if that is a known error and if there is a solution. He told me that this has to to with my memory and that the old v5.1 doesn't support more than 3GB. Now, do you know what? Normally, a Developer would suggest to buy an update to solve this problem (~40$). But no, he sent me a Patch to solve this problem, letting me use my old version on the new computer, for free.
I'm amazed by his support and like to let the world know about this great piece of software. If you're undecided between ProMotion and e.g. GraphicsGale, I suggest ProMotion. The amazing support makes the bigger price more than worth.
To show my gratitude to Jan, I'll upgrade to the newest Version soon, even though I can use the old now without problems.

I hope it was helpful to some of you. Thanks for reading.

Yes, Jan is awesome.  I've tossed a few emails back and forth with them in the past for various reasons and always had a pleasant response.  The most recent - when 6.5 was released this last month - I had caught a bug that was pretty majorly bugging out GIF files that I would save that had more than 16 colors in them. Provided all the information that I could find regarding where the problem was showing up, which files weren't getting affected, screenshots and workfiles to look at, etc. just in case it would help in solving the issue. I recommend the software to people left and right, I'd hate for people to get turned off by it or think I love using borked software :P

Anyway, I got a response that day about it. Mentioned that they were bushwhacked from finally pushing the release out and would look into it asap. I was expecting maybe a couple weeks or something. But I got an email back the next day with details on a hotfix being made, and that he placed a renewal on my download ticket so I could get the new installer and everything was right as rain after that.

Great customer service, even after doing tons of work to get it out the door!

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #2212 on: November 10, 2011, 05:34:58 pm
I haven't played any game this year.. Then I notice skyrim, it's flooding reviews and initial walkthroughs vids.

Looks awesome, tempting.. but you might as well say goodbye to your real life :lol:
I'll get it next year when I have some time  :-\

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)

Reply #2213 on: November 13, 2011, 12:41:23 am
Happened across this while crawling around Reddit in between workfiles.  It's all black and white 'lineart' and some of it is interesting :P

Here's the site.[/url]

Also, livejournal postings with more weirdness.

And I guess while I'm posting something, here's an album of my terrible drawing studio interns sleeping on the job.

Showed a few people on IRC that enjoyed so here you are, Pixelation.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #2214 on: November 13, 2011, 02:37:26 pm
i love that cat album so much i pull it up whenever i need some happiness c:

Figured it's relevant since VOXELS: http://www.humblebundle.com/ only a day left, but its a fun game and pay-what-you want. Level/character editors too! Would be cool seeing some stuff made by pixel artists, I haven't tried my hand at the custom stuff yet.

Offline Calx

• View Profile

Reply #2215 on: November 14, 2011, 12:21:24 am
I was looking through Pixeljoint's gallery on my Ipad and I realized the dark colors are drastically darker on my Ipad verses my laptop. Now I'm paranoid as to whether my laptop, and therefore my art, has messed up colors or not. Can anyone with an Ipad tell me if they see a difference between their laptop and Ipad colors?  ???

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #2216 on: November 14, 2011, 09:30:19 am
Stumbled across this really old instructional video while browsing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIn9baUNH0w

50's paint colors really have a look to them.  I wonder if it has to do with being made with lead.

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #2217 on: November 16, 2011, 08:57:07 pm
I was wondering if anyone can help me find a program someone posted awhile ago on here. It generated images that looked like this:

I tried the search function but I wasn't able to find anything. I think Happymonster created it but I'm not sure.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #2218 on: November 16, 2011, 09:21:11 pm
Yep!

Found an old mirror of it on my site from 2009. It's called Richard's Evolving Sprite Tool, for reference.

Awesome little program, a challenge/activity involving it would be neat. He also made a program that generates an image sorta like these based on a name, over at TIGSource a while ago people were using them for avatars.

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #2219 on: November 16, 2011, 09:50:59 pm
Ah yes! Thanks Atnas. I find it really helps me come up with some interesting monster ideas when I start getting into a rut. I would love to participate in some kind of a challenge involving it.