AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004754 times)

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #2150 on: August 30, 2011, 08:04:40 pm
Wow.. check this out guys  :o

<found this on Gaf>
Inkling by wacom

The Inkling is a "digital sketch pen" that allows you to draw or sketch on any standard piece of paper (a big advantage over Livescribe, which requires special notebooks) and automatically have a digital version created. The pen looks like a regular ballpoint pen, but is much more powerful than that. As you draw, sketches, mind-maps, or brainstorms all get captured, and are available just by connecting your pen to the computer. You can even create layers as you sketch, and edit drawings even easier when you get back to the computer. Files can be accessed in applications like Photoshop and Illustrator, or just viewed on the computer.

There's also a receiver that comes with the Inkling, which is likely how Wacom was able to avoid requiring special paper. The receiver clips to whatever page or notebook you're using, and requires an uninterrupted line of sight with the pen while you're working. It could be a little kludgy, as the receiver is fairly large and is one more thing to carry and set up when you want to work. Battery life for the system, Wacom says, is more than eight hours of working time, which is a good number, but still means you might want to carry a normal pen or the charging cable in case you have a full day's worth of sketching to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXbBA1DRE84

$200 September.

Then again, we have scanners  :lol:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 08:23:20 pm by Froli »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #2151 on: August 31, 2011, 01:38:46 am
That's really cool! I'll wait for it to get released and scans/vectors to be compared before I get too excited though.

Layers sound really useful if its easy to swap out differently colored inks easily.

Edit: it is easy to swap out cartridges and they're a standard size so you can just buy whatever color you need... to this day it takes me 2-3x as long to draw on a tablet rather than paper so i'm actually sort of looking forward to this as a poor-man's cintiq.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:56:36 am by Atnas »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2152 on: August 31, 2011, 04:58:45 am
JJ Naasm are you ready for a wiki war? You're not.

This is why these articles are as they are.

A wiki war? Never heard of such a thing. But, I assume it's a phenomenon occurring when two or more schools of thought want to create an official wikipedia page for their vocation/craft? How funny.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #2153 on: August 31, 2011, 02:44:07 pm
Wiki's example of isometric pixel art:

:)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2154 on: September 01, 2011, 03:03:00 am
No judgment implied. Just saying it's a topic that's come up a lot.

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Reply #2155 on: September 01, 2011, 06:38:58 am

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2156 on: September 01, 2011, 07:03:56 pm
Whoa batlorder, that's sweet. And the demo model is so happy about it, too . . .

No judgment implied. Just saying it's a topic that's come up a lot.

Personally I have no use for a quality wiki page on PA. I know where to find high quality PA instruction when I feel the need for some review. The general public, though. They go to wikipedia. It would be nice, for the sake of PA itself, if there was a properly represented wiki page(s) created to allow a layman to get informed quickly and easily and accurately, all in one place - wikipedia. Of course, I'm no champion of PA awareness, so I honestly have no desire to assist with this especially when I know others would do a better job. And I do wish others would do the job.

Offline Redshrike

• View Profile

Reply #2157 on: September 04, 2011, 03:59:38 am
@Froli:  I actually have a sonic tablet, though it's an offbrand.  I got it for free for testing through my dad's work.  Let me just say that they must have substantially improved the technology since then if Wacom is willing to make one, because the one I have is pretty bad (draw circle; get oval) despite the cool concept.

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #2158 on: September 04, 2011, 07:57:26 pm
Pixelation did have a wiki back in the Pep days, and it really didn't go anywhere. I doubt it would be any different today.

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #2159 on: September 07, 2011, 12:48:19 pm
Anyone else playing Disgaea 4? The spritework is absolutely delicious... i really hate how this series dares you to grind to levels never before heard of in JRPG's, takes probably weeks and months out of one's lifespan DX