AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004135 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #1960 on: April 01, 2011, 01:51:55 am
What I theorize is not very important. You can read great psychologists, philosophers and authors ponder on this forever if you want. Here's a start http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_drive

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #1961 on: April 03, 2011, 06:22:39 am
Helm: What I could muster from that reading, it seems that the death drive is dealing more about the want of self harm, much in the ways when we're depressed we think about more sad things and thus often spiral deeper. It didn't seem to me at all that the death drive was linked to any fantasies to harm others.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1962 on: April 03, 2011, 11:22:52 am
I find it crass to debate the possibility of violent fantasies and death drive not existing just so we can feel better about what videogames represent in our modern lives.

It seems to me the death drive very much has to do with self harm and the harm of others. When we shoot someone in the face in a videogame, we empathize both with the one doing the harm and the one getting harmed, there's power in proactive violence and in the slave mentality of being helpless to  a violence. What can I say? If you're interested in the subject you can educate yourself further. A discussion on it without a foundation won't be of much use. You could say "yes, but..." and I can reply "no, but..." for a long time and we'll get to know each other better like that, but if you want to actively learn the most you can on the subject, read the philosophical and psychological sources instead. Let's just agree that the human mechanism is very complex and that any of our shallow predictions about how it works do not delicately represent the reality of the situation. Videogames aren't 'just' videogames just how anything isn't 'just' anything.

Offline trough

• View Profile

Reply #1963 on: April 03, 2011, 03:49:28 pm
Agreed. I think I misunderstood what you meant in your earlier post. (If you don't really care for further explanation, feel free to skip over this post and talk about something else)

I wasn't trying to deny it for the sake of making video game violence seem more socially acceptable. It was just something I hadn't thought of before. I agree completely that video games can be a way to satisfy the death drive without causing any real-life problems. But the death drive varies in strength by each person. To some people with a weaker death drive, violence is not only unsatisfying, but disturbing. I'll agree that I have this drive, otherwise I wouldn't have enjoyed Metroid Prime so much.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 04:03:40 pm by trough »

Offline Kasumi

• View Profile

Reply #1964 on: April 05, 2011, 09:16:21 am
Has anyone played the minitroid tech demo? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGgApXz0X68

I just beat it. It's a pretty nice little game.
I make actual NES games. Thus, I'm the unofficial forum dealer of too much information about the NES

Offline Zenobia

• View Profile
    • Zententia.net

Reply #1965 on: April 07, 2011, 12:41:18 pm
Edit: [fml]
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 04:12:57 pm by Zenobia »

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #1966 on: April 08, 2011, 02:27:07 am
Umm, same here. Literally the exact same story, so I'm wondering if it's the same person (though this would be better to discuss through PMs)... I know they had a few other people from here working with them.

Offline Alonso

• View Profile
    • Heart Forth, Alicia

Reply #1967 on: April 11, 2011, 05:05:47 am
The reason why we would like to run people over with cars, rape and kill is because it's in our most primordial nature to do it. Supposed occidental civilisation has, as Freud once said (and I don't agree very much), made one of the most repressive systems to be had. We can't even think about doing wrong, and we're already punishing ourselves for thinking about it. I would like to think these acts of violence do take place, although it be in the mind. They're just as powerful and liberating, but they have the advantage of remaining just as possibility (and not fact, although they're just as meaningful as if they were fact). There's a huge undertaking to be made when we bring the word "possibility" into the conversation (there's also a huge road to explore with "death" and "time", but I'm sure most wouldn't be as interested as me) :).
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 05:09:48 am by Alonso »

Offline #36005A

• View Profile

Reply #1968 on: April 12, 2011, 11:55:35 pm
I am fairly sure my boss is going to e-mail me later today that I will not get paid for my work. Once again. Even though I had a proper contract this time too.

Then why not take legal action? Isn't that what the contract is there for?

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #1969 on: April 13, 2011, 12:46:40 am