AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1004312 times)

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #1760 on: September 13, 2010, 08:00:53 pm
I have decided to not call pixel art blocky, but rather, made of legos.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #1761 on: September 14, 2010, 08:40:11 am
There is no discussion.

Try not to post argument after argument and at the same time say stuff like this, it paints you in a bad light. If you're feeling trollish, I suggest you go blow off some steam in some other place.

A discussion requires at least 2 parties, both of which have arguments that don't entirely consist of opinion.
The only opposition I have seen up to this point came down to name calling.
Thank you for contributing to that
And also for lecturing me about what paints someone in a bad light.

As for your definition of trolling, it's interesting for sure.
I always thought trolling and using logic and common sense were mutually exclusive.
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #1762 on: September 14, 2010, 11:34:12 am
Not in the definition of trolling that would mean 'trying to twist some debate out of a trivial topic for the sake of debate', which is both logical, and is a legit (some say it's the original) meaning of the word! Not that helm was even saying that you were even trolling, but acting (more like feeling) 'trollish'.

Anyhow, you've been sort of sour since the whole 'blocky or not blocky' thing started, what's up? Somehow you've managed to put yourself in a bad light (whether it's just everyone misunderstanding your, or not), so you could deal with that in some other manner than sarcasm. This is an honest suggestion.
' _ '

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #1763 on: September 14, 2010, 12:15:33 pm
Well I didn't want a debate.
I honestly didn't expect that anyone would argue against the concept of pixels being regarded as blocks. Especially not here.
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #1764 on: September 14, 2010, 12:27:02 pm
You did not want a debate? So that is why you kept of debating? That could also be regarded as trollish.

Seriously, this was a pretty silly discussion. Pixels ARE blocks, but whether they are perceived as blocky is something that probably differs from person to person.
It is pretty much subjective I would say.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1765 on: September 14, 2010, 03:35:51 pm
9_6, If I were just a user I'd steer clear from engaging with you on this. I don't enjoy it. However I am a moderator and I have to encourage some types of behavior and discourage some others to maintain a positive mood on Pixelation. So it does fall to me to tell you that you are out of line. You're dictating to people when a conversation must end, you're being condescending. You take clearly subjective issues and you portray them as a matter of pure logic. You place yourself on the side of logic and anyone who disagrees with you, on the other side. That stuff is textbook flame-baiting. All I told you is that if you're having a bad day, you should provoke people elsewhere. There's a lot of forums online built exactly for that.

Pixels are blocks. But pixel art is not necessarily blocky. I think the whole point of pixel art (for some) is how to utilize pixels in such a way as to retain their positive aspects (sharpness, clarity, separation) and downplay their negative aspects (blockiness, grid). The whole concept of manual anti-aliasing comes to be because of this dynamic, for example. Different people have different tolerances for 'blocky' (as well for oily smooth, come to think of it) and you might be especially sensitive to the pixel edges and even consider them the defining characteristic of pixel art (or retro videogaming). That's fine, it's interesting even, I'd love to discuss how pixel art should be from that point of view (less aa, more dithering, less colors, perhaps?) but I'd love to discuss with with someone that isn't provoking to cause a commotion. Other places on the internet like a more confrontational type of discourse, Pixelation doesn't because it's made of digital art guys and girls, many of which are introverts and only come out of their shell when they know that if they voice an opinion, nobody's going to come and tell them "that's illogical. Discussion over".

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #1766 on: September 14, 2010, 06:00:45 pm
I'm sorry but did you actually follow the discussion?

I attempted to just come to the consens that pixels are blocks which, apparently, was impossible.
From that point onwards it is easy to extrapolate that blocky can probably be used to describe pixel art.
Or at least, like I said so many times, games with a low resolution that get scaled up and just so happen not to have any anti aliasing applied on them.
Or to be more specific: Canabalt. Cause that's what we're talking about. Right?

I am fully aware that there's absolutely 0 blockyness if your pixel art is anti aliased and not magnified.
That is completely besides the point though since those kinds of graphics weren't described with said word.

If you mean blocky can be used to describe pixel art in general, no. Of course not.
The pixel level control pretty much makes it impossible to describe the limitless possible looks with just one word, doesn't it.
That's like asking if "green" can be used to describe oil paintings.

Also you really misunderstood the "there is no discussion"- part.
Sure does sound arrogant and condescending if pulled out of context like that but doesn't it make a whole lot more sense if put in context into a discussion about whether or not pixels are blocks?
Is whether or not circles are round discuss-able?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 06:17:17 pm by 9_6 »
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #1767 on: September 15, 2010, 12:58:46 am
So who played Metroid: Other M and also enjoyed the axial sort of level design?  :)
And how bout when theres a curve in the hallway and all you do is continue to hold up and it turns Samus for you?
I wouldnt argue that its how all 3d games should be. And its been implemented in a few games before (sonic being chased by whales feels similar)
But it feels good to experience. Nice piece of design and execution. :y:

Also putting aliens in a headlock and then shooting them in the face is satisfying. But I have yet to see her piledrive any of the enemies. I can only hope.

And yes I'm attempting to change the subject. any takers?
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Kasumi

• View Profile

Reply #1768 on: September 15, 2010, 01:23:23 am
The "glitched red door" I read about a while ago has me worried about trying it. I'm not sure if people have figured out if it was a user missing something or a game problem. I also kinda want to play and beat Super Metroid before I pick it up. Hearing a positive review is always encouraging, though. This reminds me that I really don't play as many games as I used to...
I make actual NES games. Thus, I'm the unofficial forum dealer of too much information about the NES

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #1769 on: September 15, 2010, 03:25:10 am
You mean you don't want another page of pointless blather to enjoy? Why!?

. . .

Sure is rainy today.