AuthorTopic: Learn how to create your own mobile phone game  (Read 15167 times)

Offline Lysekoid

• Lysekoid from MegaMan New Horizon
    • View Profile
    • MegaMan New Horizon

Learn how to create your own mobile phone game

on: October 18, 2008, 12:51:22 pm
Hi

My name is Michal (Lysekoid) and I'm a professional game developer. I had this idea that I’d like to try out. I would like to create some tutorials and teach non-programmers, especially very talented spriters and graphics artists, how to create their own mobile phone games.

What would you guys thing on that? Would anyone here be interested? I will give away my own JavaME source codes and take you step by step through the different procedures. When we are done with the tutorial, you will have a game in your hands that will contain your graphics, which you modified and worked on, and that can be run on a real mobile phone!

Anyone interested? I need one or a few people who’d have the will to take this all the way in order for us to succeed!

Offline dkh

• View Profile
    • Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth

Re: Learn how to create your own mobile phone game

Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 02:51:16 pm
NOO, it will make us programmers who aren't exactly talented when it comes to art obsolete!!

Just kidding, go for it! :) I personally am not that interested in mobile game development but I can't think of any reason for not writing a tutorial.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 01:51:53 pm
Sure, could be interesting.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 06:39:07 pm
I'll try it.

Offline Lysekoid

• View Profile
    • MegaMan New Horizon

Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 11:55:16 am
Let me make a few things clear... My request is NOT a request for spriters to help me out. What I'm trying to do is to offer my help to you.

If there are any spriters who don't know how to make a mobile phone game then I'm willing to help them along and lead them through the process until they can continue the work without my help.

So, the project will require some programming, BUT with the source code I'm offering even the person with NO programming experience will be able to get a game running. When we are finished, you will have a game of your own, that can be downloaded into a real mobile phone and played. Spriting skills are required... When we are finished through the different steps of my planning, you'll be working on your own without needing help from me. My goal is to help people and make sure you learn something cool and can continue with your own projects. However, I will always be available to help out even once you are a professional mobile phone developer.

The first step will be to start easy. In the first step we'll simply modify my own game, a space invaders clone called SpaceBat. We will change it's graphics, learn how to prepare graphics and make it work with the course code I provide.

Once we are done with this Space Invaders clone, we will move to another game I made, a platform game, something similar to Super Mario, which you will be able to remake into a MegaMan game or whatever platform game you like...

The first we have to do is to divide you guys into several teams or one large team. If someone wants to work on his own, then that's ok. And those of you that want to work together, can do that as well. Each team will need to make:
1. Minimum 1 background in the size of 320x320 pixels
2. One hero ship
3. Minimum 2 enemies

So... what teams do you want to belong to? And what name would you like to give your game?

Offline trolleybusses

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 05:49:39 pm
Hey, this sounds interesting. I think I'd like to try it by myself. :)

I'll call my game "Splerg".

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 11:16:00 pm
I'm sure I'll try and follow along with this as well providing that I can. I'm not sure if having only a mac will hinder me.

Offline Lysekoid

• View Profile
    • MegaMan New Horizon

Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 10:04:45 pm
PS! Simply try to make teams as you see fit, and post them here. However, if you find noone, and feel you lack a skill, like spriting, the worry not. I am here to help out, and you will succeed as well as anyone else. Teams are importnat, whether you're working woth someone or have a one-man-team, because of different ideas. You will probably like to go in different directions, so only make a team with someone who wants the same things as you do!

Since this is Pixelation, I don’t think making sprites should be a problem for any of you guys, but remember that any sprite will do. You can even use google to find some sprites and background to borrow, if you don’t feel like making it yourself, as long as you have something to work with!

Trolleybuses : Wonderful, “Splerg” it is!

Jakten: Welcome aboard!

The first task for each team is to create some graphics, because you will use it as the firs think you do in your game. You need:
1.   One background, 320x320 pixels
2.   One hero ship or something similar
3.   About 2 enemy sprites!

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 01:33:14 pm
most mobile games are small enough that only 1 artist could do all the graphics.. i dont understand why you're requesting people to get into teams.
Also, shouldnt this be more focused towards the programming aspect of making a mobile phone game.. i think most of us here already have a handle on the art side of things..
how do we know that you won't simply take our art and use it in your own games?..

Offline Raytheon

• bepp bepp
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 05:09:08 am
i'm all for it

i'd love to try
i am a computern