AuthorTopic: Question for the moderators  (Read 2913 times)

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Question for the moderators

on: November 20, 2008, 06:04:06 pm
Hi all,

As some of you may know I am working on my own paint program and am seeking advice and ideas from the people who have the most experience of art, artists!
It is likely that I will have a lot of questions about different aspects of the program and people's experience with other paint programs they have used. Would it be appropriate to start different threads on this section of Pixelation to ask these kinds of question? I don't want to spam up the board, but then again this isn't the most active section and putting everything in one thread would probably quickly get disorganised.

What do you advise please?

Thanks,
Richard

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Question for the moderators

Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 06:09:49 pm
I do not see how having different threads would help. Just the one will do.

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 06:11:52 pm
I'm no mod but if I were to create a paint program just for pixeling it would only need a few tools, most important of all being a easy to use palette:

1. Palette ( ability to load up colors, save palettes and maybe some hotkey mechanism to switch colors )
2. Pencil ( just like mspaint, left click paints, right click paints, if I click my palette it grabs that color )
3. Eraser ( instead of an eraser, I think it would be more beneficial to have a transparency color in the palette tool, use that to erase to trans )
4. Layers ( Only need 2 layers for any kind of pixel art, to easily move stuff around or to save an old copy of something for comparison )
5. Select/move tool ( a select tool you can use lasso with right click, square with left click, use shift for uniformity )
6. I also think a hotkey/button to select whatever color your cursor is over while using the pencil tool would be better than an eye dropper.

Honestly, there are tons of programs to pixel with, the benefit of creating something new would be for speed and efficiency using the tools. Its better to expand upon something that was already created, than to create something new that already exists.

my 2c

later.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 06:21:24 pm
Helm: Ok, thanks for the quick response. We will try that.
Dogmeat: We'll talk about that in the other main thread..