AuthorTopic: Getting back into that groove  (Read 8032 times)

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Re: Getting back into that groove

Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 01:47:50 pm
Very nice piece, Extremely well pixeled, but there's a few things that bother me:
  • It doesn't look scary.
Slightly spooky maybe, but it could be moreso. Trust me, i'm easily scared. I think to fix this, although its kind of late now, make it a lot darker colors in the background, maybe make some storm clouds or something? not just to look scary but because i can hardly tell the difference between the background and the middleground.
  • Hands bug me.
I don't know why, but they look awkward and unnatural. Because i'm so awesome, i shalt (Yay for old English?) provide and edit!

:)
Only an edit on the left hand, i'm sort of pressed for time. Hope it helps!
~Shrike

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 02:22:02 pm
Thanks Shrike. I see what you mean.
Yeah the atmosphere kind of bothers me myself. I had something far scarier in mind when I started.
But it ended up like this. I'd fix it, but I really don't have that much time to work on it anymore.
Plus I don't wanna do half of this again. I'll see if this can get entered in the competition or not. If not that's too bad.

About the hands: Though I do kinda see what you mean, I really do want him to have very long claws.
But I just don't really know how to make em look better and keep em long and creepy.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 07:11:07 pm
The main problem with the atmosphere is that the light is coming from above and that your background seems much too cheerful. You see, light coming from below feels much more 'threatening'.

Offline Ian

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 03:59:43 am
The blade of the scythe appears to be part of the background way too much.  I know you're trying to conserve colors and perhaps even create unity in the piece but there is such a thing as too much unity and in this case part of your foreground is becoming part of the background.  Adding more contrast between the tones of the blade doesn't help you need more contrast between the blade and the background (and not just value contrast more then likely hue).  Also the composition isn't too good is fairly boring, you only really have two levels of convincing space, the reaper with his scythe and the background with crystal elements.  Try bring some of the crystals forward and pushing the others back to give a nice sense of receding space and perspective.   Looking at your image abstractly and sorting it's compositionally this is basically what it becomes:

Kinda boring right?  Your pixel rendering and sense of form is quite exceptional but I think it's time you start thinking more critically about composing your work, especially if you are going to be doing scenes such as this.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 04:01:18 am by Ian »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 06:41:23 pm
I disagree that the composition is boring. the black sillouette you highlighted shows almost a diagonal in the composition and if he had maybe had something dark or interesting in the top left it would be a perfectly dynamic composition.

Offline Ian

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 07:56:11 pm
I agree my main point is that the upper left corner is quite unengaging and that the crystal elements don't work to build a real sense of filling space (they act entirely as negative space) so we are kinda left with two simple areas of positve and negative space.  So yeah, the reaper's shape itself is pretty interesting but I think the upper left corner could do with more interest.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 12:05:31 pm
I agree my main point is that the upper left corner is quite unengaging and that the crystal elements don't work to build a real sense of filling space (they act entirely as negative space) so we are kinda left with two simple areas of positve and negative space.  So yeah, the reaper's shape itself is pretty interesting but I think the upper left corner could do with more interest.

Well, wouldn't more interesting stuff in the upper left corner distract from the reaper?

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 12:18:50 pm

Well, wouldn't more interesting stuff in the upper left corner distract from the reaper?

Elaboration on the color and shape of crystals can, without drawing direct attention to themselves, make them more interesting. It's the power of the subconscious you'll want to access (:
' _ '