AuthorTopic: [WIP] Metal Slug style character  (Read 5085 times)

Offline trolleybusses

• View Profile

[WIP] Metal Slug style character

on: October 21, 2008, 03:38:52 pm
Hey guys, I'm new here. Seems like a nice place :D

So, after playing the new Metal Slug 7 DS release, I decided to try and create a character in that style. I've shown it to a couple of people, but they aren't pixel artists, so it would be nice to get the opinions and critique of fellow pixel artists.

So far, I like it, but some things just bug me. The head for example. I wanted it to look slightly comedic, the helmet jammed down over his eyes, but I haven't been able to get that when messing around with it. The meeting point between his head and shoulders also looks odd, so if anyone could give me a hand on how to improve these, I'd be really grateful, and any other comments are welcome too.

Update:

OK, taking into account Fatalis67's comment, I went back and studied the Metal Slug style and basically re-did the whole sprite from scratch, incorporating a few things that Shrike suggested. Here's the updated one:

Thanks guys! :D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 02:26:42 pm by trolleybusses »

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Metal Slug style character

Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 02:42:15 am
Shoot, no replies. Well, that happens here a lot.  !yus!
I have providedeth an editeth! hereth it iseth:

:D hope i could help. Here are some of the things i changed:
1. i added two colors. Hair, because he was bald, and another skin shade. The arm was shaded improperly and the face looked off to me.
2. Anatomy, if you'll pardon me saying, was *cough* somewhat inaccurate. I'm not saying mine is the holy grail, since there are plenty of issues in mine too.  :B So, i revamped a lot and gave him a bit more of a neck, lowered shoulders and messed with back and legs.
3. Gazed in awe. How long have you been pixeling? my first piece was something like this:

with lots of color stealing. Lol.
To conclude, i know nothing about MS games, so this may be horribly inaccurate, but i helped in every way i could.

Offline Fatalis67

• Total newb
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 02:55:59 am
Great first piece! I can say that it doesn't really remind me of the metal slug games much, but I'm critical like that because they're like my favorite games. I think the main problems with your guy is that his body looks too wide and doesn't end in a narrower neck. Basically just move the collar of the shirt down and add in a neck and you'd be good.
In the words of Shakesphere: "Villian! I hast done thy mother!"

Offline trolleybusses

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 12:34:20 pm
Oh no, this isn't my first time pixelling, hehe. I've done pixel art before. I can post some of my old work if you want?

Thanks for the pointers, Shrike. I'll take those into account when I improve it, but I'm thinking about taking the helmet off all together.

Edit:

OK, taking into account Fatalis67's comment, I went back and studied the Metal Slug style and basically re-did the whole sprite from scratch, incorporating a few things that Shrike suggested. Here's the updated one:

What do you think now?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 02:23:55 pm by trolleybusses »

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 04:49:09 pm
I like where its going. I thing you need a bit more warm colors on the flesh tones. just add a bit more orange to the colors your have. you should see them spice up a bit.

also I thin that with the amount of colors you have, you have a really nice change to diferenciate the legs a bit. and the volumes of the legs. like have the top of the thigh be well light and the bottom not so much. right now, on the spirte's right leg you have it shaded the same way from up to down.

also the gun I think you are using colors that look too much like rest of the sprite. maybe have the gun be really grey or even push it a bit to the blues so it really stands out.
he also looks like he's missing an arm :\

keep it up.
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline trolleybusses

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 08:18:34 pm
Thanks Kazuya!

In this latest version the most obvious change is the gun. It's easier to see the other arm is actually there and it is easily differentiable from the clothing.
The palette has changed a little after Indigo was kind enough to give me some pointers on IRC.
I also edited the legs, as per your comments Kazuya.

I really like it! :D

What do you think?

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 08:59:35 pm
hey,

I made this edit.

I changed the skin tones around a bit. and made them contrast a bit more. other then that I played around with the greens to make sure I used the bright colors not only on the leg but also on the top parts of the body where the light definitly hits. I added a wrist band so that I cant read more where the hand starts and ends. I removed some detail from the right hand and leg to push them way and added detail on the arm to make it more interesting and 3dish

hope that helps.
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline dkh

• View Profile
    • Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth

Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 10:17:32 pm
With the latest edit I think it's about as far as you can push it in that style and with that anatomy.

When I studied the Metal Slug sprite style I learned that it isn't about the sprites at all. What makes the graphics of Metal Slug so appealing is the work that went into the animation of - sometimes - pretty ugly, messy and unreadable single sprites.

Offline trolleybusses

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 07:10:45 pm
That's very true, dkh.

Thanks again, Kazuya, I like that edit. However I would say that the knee on his left knee (the one closest to us) looks a bit too sharp. I'll play around with it and see where I get and hopefully begin animating. :)

Thanks everyone!