AuthorTopic: Unofficial Unused Idea Thread  (Read 6129 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Unofficial Unused Idea Thread

on: October 12, 2008, 03:49:43 am
Post here your unused ideas!  Anything that was scrapped for lack of time, teams, money, or even interest...

We all have a lot of them, should be a fun read by the time we get through :P

I'll start with a few :

• Hollow Land : A game set in the farish future where a rogue group of American nuclear facilities, disgusted with the way the world runs, pool their resources to create a new underground country which you can be a part of by literally carving out your niche.  Imagine Second Life meets Dwarf Fortress meets the Jetsons.
  • Viking Game : A beat/rhythm game in which the four buttons are four ways to kill the peasants running past you, set to metal songs about vikings.  There's actually a fullish design doc to this one that I pitched to Fil, and we may go for it in the future, so this might be HANDS OFF >:( :o :-[ ??? ;D
  • Folkmetal Alchemist : A game i didn't even bother pitching to fil which has the same input and similar tracks as the idea above but the visuals are completely different, you mix ingredients and charms in-time to have an edward-elric style duel with another alchemist.
  • Acquapolis : Think age of empires and sim city under water.  Requires 3d rts combat not unlike homeworld (except with a floor sometimes) and therefor was never pitched.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 03:39:26 pm by ndchristie »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Re: Unofficial Unused Idea Thread

Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 04:15:32 am
Harvest Moon set during the Great Depression.

A ghostbusters RL where you go to procedurally generated houses and mansions to exterminate ghosts and get cash to get better gear.  The houses all have procedurally generated family histories that effect what types of ghosts haunt the house.

Offline Fatalis67

• Total newb
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 05:02:39 pm
An alien-parasite zombie wizard.
In the words of Shakesphere: "Villian! I hast done thy mother!"

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 05:44:16 pm
<dankna> you want to know about creatures that have sex in a weird way
<dankna> flatworms
<dankna> each flatworm is equipped with two thorn-shaped penises
<dankna> which they attempt to thrust through the skin of the other flatworm - anywhere; there isn't a particular receptacle for it
<dankna> it is a dual
<dankna> *duel
<dankna> the loser
<dankna> gets to bear the child
the game

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 06:18:43 pm
A 3d shooter. Aliens attack, you play as a space marine who's lost his memory.. oh wait... never mind.

I want a 1st person fantasy game, where levels or dungeons are small, compact and full of action and clever puzzles. I'm tired of the Oblivion approach, where there's a huge open land to explore. My ideal game would be like Thief meets Heroes of M&M. Lot's of small, hand crafted deadly dungeons. You travel as an icon on a large map, raid dungeons, open more dungeons on the map etc. You rule a small Kingdom and you can use the loot to build up the castle in your honor or improve the home village or build fortifications against other Heroes that can raid the best dungeons on the map if you're not quick enough and eventually they can try to raid your treasure hold as well and you can do the same to them.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 06:27:05 pm
Mario Bro's Classic: Curse of the Black Mushroom!:

Basically a prequel to how the bro's became the heroes of the Mushroom kingdom. You start in a very dim, dull city doing handyman work for the locals, as well as a failing, small, plumbing business.(this is just for 1 or 2 small stages..bickering old lady sprites and whatnot). However, Mario and his brother Luigi soon find a strange portal in a rundown, old house, and find themselves sucked in to a colorful new world: Mushroom Kingdom. They first Meet a strange, creepy, tiny creature who has the ability to speak English. It's name is Toad. They are told of how they used to be a beautiful kingdom, until a bad wizard had escaped from his prison, and began casting spells on all the people and creatures of the kingdom, turning most town folk into strange mushroom like people. The wizard is none other than "the Black Mushroom". The failing kingdom now needs Mario's help to stop The Black Mushroom from transforming the docile animals and people into vicious creatures, who follow his every whim; and most importantly stop the Black Mushroom from awakening the Sleeping Dragon and her eggs!(Bowser sideplot, : P)
   The difference in this game is that Mario and Luigi will be drawn in a more Italian Classic style, rather than the norm anime-ish type style we're used to, to get that vintage feel. Also, it will be a side scroller, but both Mario and Luigi will both be present during game play, and can both be switched out/chosen at any given time. The Black Mushroom, who is extremely clumsy and idiotic(to continue with classic Mario, bad-guy fare), tends to drop things, and leaves behind a mysterious bag. This bag will be used throughout the game, as one character will be following and carrying the bag, and the other will be leading and beating down the baddies.
   The catch is, both characters will have different properties/actions for the items they use. While the certain plant's and mushrooms may make Mario Bigger and Stronger, they make Luigi more stretchy, and lighter. Each of these strange properties will make the gamer think a bit more, as certain stages require them to alternate, and use the brain a bit, to figure out how one can get in a tiny hole, one character can breath while underwater, and how another can bust through walls or fly. Not to mention, they can both use their abilities together to solve other head scratchers, as Luigi's elastic ability can allow him to slingshot a chunky Mario into hidden or hard to reach place, while Mario can act as a balloon to help float and lift Luigi to less dangerous levels. Also decide whether using Luigi as an elastic whip will be more affective than using Mario as big hammer. Also, there will be chances for you to play as Toad in some side games, as well as a few expected camios...The final boss WILL BE EPIC(cue cheesy epic music).

*add this to the list of billions of Nintendo-fan-boy fan fiction story and games, heh*

Construct A.I.:

Main character gets killed in a freak accident while working in a server lab for computers, and systems, building robotic parts to help physically handicapped people. He soon finds he isn't dead, but living somehow. Yet, he can't see his body, nor can he see like he used to. All he sees is strange signals moving back and forth, running across him, below him, and even through him! Soon he finds that his soul never passed on to the great beyond, and he's stuck within electronic signals passing through machines. He learns of his hard work for machinery and electronics was actually being used for robotic, military weaponry, as is able to decipher messages as they stream back and forth from one location to another after several months. Through signals back and forth, he is able to move through cpus, and gain communication with his estranged daughter, who ran away many years ago, after deciding to be a revolutionary with a group who tries to foil military actions. Soon he learns she is in danger, after she is spotted trying to disrupt an ongoing weapons experiment, and is now cited for elimination. His mission: to protect her at all costs.
   Premise of the game really just revolves around a character who has no specific form. The point of the game is to travel back and forth through ANYTHING electronic, and some how reach and send messages to his daughter informing her of the government's location. Basically, the beginning of the game is just trying to keep moving the main character's daughter to a safe location in time before agents get her, without her believing it's some joke.  The latter half will end up involving the main character's ability to use connections through out the world, and access to military weapons, to which he can actually build his own machine with his previous robotic hardware. Use your own creative ideas to create a machine that can fly and hover over cities to monitor activity, or create a giant mech hell bent on destroying any living thing that causes a threat to his daughter. The catch is that he is only alive by electric pulse,signal and energy. So if this giant, bad-ass, man-killer, monster machine is shot down or destroyed without any near by electric device or hub for him to transfer his energy to, you lose. Not to mention, towards the end of the game, agents start suspecting that you're some virus, and they create software to come after you, and end you for good. There could also be room for a multiplayer death match, and online play, where up to 4 "signals" can play at one time in a stage, with specific machinery that they can use to construct, or control their own creations to end the other signals...ie, it's basically a hi tech legos game: user is the one who decides how to build his machine, with properties that will either save, or hurt you in the end....

*more poop ideas to come!  :crazy:
my back hurts...

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 06:37:40 pm
I must say all of this sounds awesome. I'm gonna try to contribute, I have a bunch of ideas written down on my non-internet computer.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 07:51:20 pm
construct AI sounds a little like geist, which like that game could be really cool if someone put some effort in :P
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 09:14:40 am
That Construct AI is a creative idea. Would make a good community project.  :D
Even if it fails, at least people would have practiced their productivity. :> We don't have a :> smiley, this is blaspemy!

Aside from a Pokemon MMO where you either throw your pokeball or have a kick at overworld pokemon to engage them in battle, I don't have much in the idea department. I let other people tell me what to sprite.
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 12:23:42 pm
Harvest Moon set during the Great Depression.

A ghostbusters RL where you go to procedurally generated houses and mansions to exterminate ghosts and get cash to get better gear.  The houses all have procedurally generated family histories that effect what types of ghosts haunt the house.

kinda sounds like a Ghostbusters themed Dwarf Fortress...cool. Can anybody else not stand Dwarf Fortress?? like I read about it and I understand it's awesome but I cant bring myself to actually play the thing...I think I generated a world and when it was done I couldnt care less.