AuthorTopic: another run cycle  (Read 4463 times)

Offline pixelaro

• View Profile

another run cycle

on: October 10, 2008, 11:51:35 pm

12 frames.
Never really tried animating before but I want to build up a portofoilo, and hopefully some animationskills so I started one. It suffers a bit from not making keyframes and I just placed things around for each frame. Happy i ended up on an even framecount I guess. :P
heres a still image of the character I intend to use, skinnier legs for the ani will be made as i start detailing.

crits very welcome, mainly on the animation but also on the design. 

Latest version:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 09:02:23 pm by pixelaro »
:::....

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Re: another run cycle

Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 12:14:42 am
He is very light on his feet. When people run they tend to bop up and down quite a bit. Right now it doesn't look like this guy is feeling the effects of gravity, it looks like he's running on the moon or something. Fixes would be a higher frame rate and more vertical movement.
The arms also look kind of strange. He seems to lack an elbow on the closest one. And the movement isn't quite right. It looks like its twitching forward when it should be moving smoothly like the arm in the background.
Hope this helps.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline pixelaro

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 12:56:54 am

better?

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 01:30:04 am
Maybe if it was a bit faster and there was more "power" behind his steps?

I like it nevertheless!

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 02:28:54 am
I think the leg that goes from should strainghten a bit more before it hits the ground.

other than that, its nice!
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 02:47:06 am
Very quite fluid, and i like it a lot. The only real issue i have with it now is that the old and first framerate is better, and he's flatfooting it. Make the heel hit first, and make it obvious. And the other advice is great too, make him push the ground away from him with each step.

Once you get the animation down, make the boots less shiny and otherwise you've got it.
Great work!
~Shrike

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 08:21:28 pm
quick edit

Added a heelstrike and reduced the bobbing.

Offline pixelaro

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 08:32:08 pm

I'm not sure if this is much of an improvement but I've tried to follow the comments, legs stretched out more before he lands and changed to landing on heel(which makes his run seem a more cartoony one but it does seem less stiff than the previous one. unless someone has any additional suggestions I'll start detailing now.
Shrike, good point on the boots. will fix.
EDIT: robotacon, I dont know, you reduced the bobbing while some others have said to increase it. heelstrike added in as you posted, if its what i think it is. :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 09:02:33 pm by pixelaro »

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 10:17:30 pm
a heelstrike is when the heel hits the ground. I always use that as the first frame when I make a run because I think it's that important.
It adds weight to the step. The character seems to not land his foot until the leg is straight below him. He should land the foot further ahead and plant the heel first on the ground.
If you look closely it looks like he's kicking in the air when he instead should be catching the ground falling forward.

I just did a quick edit but you could also trace each point and see how far the heels, the knees and the hands move in each frame. On the ground the feet should move at constant speed and in the air the heels should follow a teardrop shaped form going up in the beginning of the step (keeping the toes on the ground for as many frames as possible) and the go downwards while going forward all the way until the heel strikes ground.

I've never been a fan of too much head movements. For walks it's OK but when you run your head moves mostly from side to side like in your first post.

Having all this said, there's a million ways to draw a run and I like what you've got going now. The fully rendered version looks great; what a rock pose :)