AuthorTopic: (WIP) Pixel Tree  (Read 4974 times)

Offline Talos

• View Profile

(WIP) Pixel Tree

on: September 23, 2008, 01:28:23 am
My Pixel tree is actually coming along great, I've spent probably 45 minutes to an hour. Won't be back today, but here goes:

C+C and / or edits please
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 02:41:08 am by Talos »

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Re: (WIP) Pixel Tree

Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 11:13:25 am
It's a good start. :)
Balance is an issue here, at the moment i can see much more leaves on the right side. This would work, if it wasn't for the large branch coming out on the left with very minimal foliage on top (for example, it gives the impression that you didn't intend for there to be such unbalance). Big trunk? LOTS OF LEAVES. Don't be scared - for one i would increase your canvas size so you're less afraid to work on it's size more.

The trunk looks pretty fleshy atm, which is good. You'll have to add a highlight colour and see how it looks then.

So basically i would suggest adding more leaves where needed and to generally fill in the large gaps visible at the moment. More branches/leaves or altering the general shape will help this.

:y:

Offline Talos

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 02:15:50 am
Okay, how about this:

Did some palette changes too.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 08:49:45 am
What sort of a tree it is? Looks a bit like olive tree..

Anyway, it's very difficult to find a tree where the trunk fills in a side view about as much surface area of the picture as the leaves. Just try googling for one. What happens to the trunk and the branches in this pic when it disappears inside the leaf cover? You could try sketching out first how the branches go and then draw the masses of leaves on top of that.

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 01:55:46 am
i think you may be going about this in the wrong order

the leaves will cast a shadow all over the trunk, so after you've given value to the foliage is when you should be thinking about which parts of the trunk will be the darkest

Offline Talos

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 02:40:39 am
I'm going about it the way I'm going because of a few key reasons, the main being detail. Anyway it would be hard for me to explain but, after leaving it for awhile I'm coming back to it with more inspiration:

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 07:12:04 pm
what strikes me right away is that it looks like you have a light on your head, like a miner's hat, and you are lighting the tree with it.
it lacks a sense of light direction. also the fact that each branch is shaded the same makes it look like its a flat shape rather then a tree that grows in every direction.

Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!