AuthorTopic: Robot...flower.  (Read 2940 times)

Offline Yo-Yo-Master

• My failed attempt at mimicking XenoStriker's style
    • View Profile
    • My DA..nothing much yet >>

Robot...flower.

on: October 09, 2008, 11:29:09 pm
I realize this sucks to the infinity...
and I seek guidance.  I realize there's no hue shifting and there should be since its boring to have one hue of gray...but I wanted to focus on volumes, which I have no idea how to execute.

He's round...and I didn't work on the hands/legs/arms/flower, since I wanted to get assistance with what I had so far before going further into fail-land.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Re: Robot...flower.

Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 12:03:47 am
On the shading behind the dark (forget what its called, reflection?) the highlights go too light. Other than that it just needs hyoooo shiiiiiifts.

Offline Destiny

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 12:12:57 am
If you mean you dont know how to shift the gray, thiers several choices. Red, blue, and green are a good example.

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 06:12:42 am
I agree with the critique that the metal should be more... colorful. But I'm thinking rather than blindly changing colors for the metal, you should take the flower color into account. Metal reflects a lot, so you should see the colors from the flow in the shades of the metal. So you should bend the metal shades towards red.

Here's an edit with a palette adjustment and adding in some tiny reflection of the flower to your robot:

Basically, the dark spots become a slightly saturated purplish, but it should be relatively grey, and then as you go up the ramp, the colors should become less and less saturated. Experiment with a bunch colors for yourself! It's fun once you get the hang of it.

Cool robot at any rate! Keep up the good work.

Might look better with a bit of anti-aliasing for the shades next to the outlines too. And shade in the flower petals and detail the stem a bit!

EDIT: Oh, and now I realized you weren't looking for critique on this sort of stuff yet. :/
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 10:50:59 pm by Overkill »