AuthorTopic: Main Character Fin?: Variations  (Read 16109 times)

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Re: UPDATED 3: Main Character help

Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 05:10:11 am
Changed size restrictions. That allowed for a bit more detail I think. Did I fix the egyptian look? I would still like to make it look like he's wearing full body armor. (I'm still deciding as to whether or not I should actually make him have yellow goggles. Curse Graphic Gales non-overlapping ability.) Not sure how I should go about that now. Oh, he's also going to wield two guns, which I'm not adding in until I think the look is finished.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 05:12:13 am by xhunterko »

Offline AnarchoElk

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 09:37:17 am

Here's a couple quick edits.

The first is a complete stylistic change, this was mostly for my own practice.

The second I changed his right arm, and the positioning of his feet. The "Egyptian" look comes mainly from the fact his body looks facing us, and his legs are both facing left. So the feet thing is what would fix it in that scenario. When I finished I thought the bodyshape resembled the old 8bit mario, so I named it the mario edit.

Then I looked at the image again, trying to wonder why both feet would stick forward like that, and I thought "maybe he is completely sideways?" So to emphasize this look, I moves his legs closer together so they had more depth, I narrowed his torso, because it seemed quite wide for someone who was sideways, and I widened and put some more emphasis on his left arm. he looks more like he is facing sideways with this, so I named it the sideway edit.

Also, I think that's Bruce Lee who is popping up in the banner.

"vaccinations enable human beings to live at the socially and ecologically destructive densities that make infectious disease a problem."

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 12:17:20 am
First off, thank you for the edits, anything helps. I like how you kept the armor sections in there, that will help. I think I have something for the feet (again). I noticed your style edit matched my updated version more then the others (the sword guy). I'll have to look at how you kept the 'armor' pieces though. That looks interesting.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Re: UPDATED 4: Main Character help

Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 12:02:03 am
Okay, here we go.

Changed a few things here and there. Based somewhat off of Anarcho's edit. More below

I worked on everything I think. Lowered the left arm a bit to match the pose. Made a little more space in the back. I think I have the feet problem fixed. Let me know if I don't. Didn't change the right arm much, still want that to be partially visible. (He is going to hold two heavy pistols after all.) Changed the positioning of the legs a little. Overall, I think that some of the changes make him look, skinny? But I'm pretty sure this looks much better then my previous older sprites.

So, what do you think? Better, worse?
Extra Comments and Crit please
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 12:03:49 am by xhunterko »

Offline AnarchoElk

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 07:26:09 am
The only thing standing out to me right now is the way his right (our left) leg seems to go straight back, and then when it reaches the boot, straight down.

It looks like there is a joint about half a foot above the angle. The two solutions would be to give him a bend at the knee to allow his shin to go into the boot more naturally, or to bend the boot to allow the shin to go in naturally, following the line of his leg.

Much improved though, I think.

"vaccinations enable human beings to live at the socially and ecologically destructive densities that make infectious disease a problem."

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 07:37:04 am
Thanks for the reply. You are talking about the guy with the orange circle by him right? Thats the new one. I can't seem to get that bent look right though for some reason. I'll have to look at that again.

(Mockup coming soon.)

(Erm, anyone else want to add anything? Or does anarchoelk pretty much has it covered? Sorry if I'm acting like a pest, but I like updates.)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 04:24:16 am by xhunterko »

Offline AnarchoElk

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 01:48:03 pm
Taking another look at it, I have a couple questions, and a couple things.

The thing is the outline colour on the gloves, compared to the outline of the armour, is too light.

The first question had to do with the second thing. Is the orange circle the light source? It looks like it could be for most of the shading, but then in others is seems like it isn't. the main thing here is his left (our right) leg. Its completely reversed on that leg. The other leg looks fine, as the light still seems to be coming from the left, but blocked by the rest of the body somewhat.

The second question is the armour. I tried to keep the style of it in the edit I made, but to be honest, it confuses me. I have no idea what's going on with it. Only the shoulders make sense to me. SO I just want to know how it goes together, or if you used a reference, what it was

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 10:05:54 pm
Thanks for pointing that out.

The outline of the gloves. Is sorta based on a no-black outline technique that uses the darkest color of the objects base color. Which is why it probably looks lighter. Would it look better shaded with the rest of the outline color?

No, the orange thing is not the light source. That's merely to show which sprite is the newest one that I've worked on. The light source would probably be in the upper right corner. Or something a little above that maybe.

Thank you for pointing out that leg. I'll fix it here in a little bit.

About the armor. I realize that everybody isn't interested in the Mecha-like universe. The armor is based off of an old mech aussalt game for the PC. Its in a picture in the instruction booklet that its based on. Also, it''s slightly based off of exo-force chest padding as well. I'll post pics if I can later. Sorry for the confusion.

Offline AnarchoElk

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 11:46:29 pm
I wouldn't say use the same colour, but I think using a similar shade would be preferable. Your darkest blue is quite dark, but the darkest brown is still fairly light. if you had a darker brown to outline the gloves, it would look more like a single piece. With the lightness of the brown used for the outlines, it makes the gloves and boots look separate from the character.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 07:16:48 pm
I forgot about fixing the outline in this piece. However, I do believe I have fixed the right leg shading issue. As well as the ankle area there. What I intend to do more is lower the sprite about 2 pixels because this seems a bit tall to me.

I'm also going to have a run animation with and without two pistols. Are there any good examples of these on here?

I also want to do a mockup with this guy intruding into an enemy base. Are there any specific games or examples on here that do metal or other backgrounds like that around here?