AuthorTopic: My grass can beat up your grass!  (Read 4371 times)

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

My grass can beat up your grass!

on: October 06, 2008, 08:25:48 am
Here are a few tiles I drew.

I was practicing a new way of making tiles. Basically, I do a tile by attacking it a corner at a time. I do the top-left tile, then I make a top-right tile by sandwiching it between two top-lefts, make the bottom-left by sandwiching between top-lefts, and make the bottom-right by sandwiching between the bottom-left and top-right. Then I just went through and gradually adjusted things.

I think it turned out well, especially for my grass. The sand there is a little weird because it's supposed to be checkerboard tiled, but it's okayish.

Here's a picture showing rough progress of the grass artwork along with palette fussiness:

EDIT: This was originally an art dump, and I had a really poorly drawn flaming mushroom and a bee, which I thought was good when I was sleep deprived. Yeeaaaah, I got rid of that.

Instead, just give me your feedback on my tiles!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 04:31:26 am by Overkill »

Offline TonyB

• View Profile

Re: Art dump!

Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 03:10:49 am
Well, I guess now I've learned how to create tiles. Wonderful job, although I must say that I'm perplexed with the mushroom.

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Re: My grass can beat up your grass!

Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 04:27:59 am
Okay, to be quite honest, I think my bottom most piece of art was pretty weak.

This is why I shouldn't be drawing at 3 am evidently. I mean, usually faults in drawing are less evident when you're really into drawing something, but it's just bad when you don't have sleep. It looks very WIP and unfinished.

I'm gonna remove that. If you really want to see my insomnia-induced scribblings of a flaming toadstool and a very poorly drawn bee, you can go here: http://www.bananattack.com/stuff/art/firemushandbee.png

Anyway, rather than TRY and fix that, I'd just appreciate any critique on the tileset I have there. Would a mockup of some sort using the current tiles help? Would you just like to see MORE tiles to go with this grass which seems to be the main thing anyone ever draws as a starter tile?

EDIT:

Here's a mockup, demonstrating the grass and water. Just so you can sort of see that it tiles okay and so forth.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 04:58:32 am by Overkill »

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 05:12:03 am
Hey Overkill,

Well as you can see there is a pretty evident repeating dark blue area that could be cleaned up.  It'd probably be good for you to create a few alternate grass tiles so you can mix them around in several ways to avoid obvious repetition.  The grass may be a little too lush (in game-art terms), but the low contrast helps keep that from being a problem.

I think the grass looks fine though, it's got a charming style

The water suffers from the same repetitive issues.  Also, with crests like that you'd have to animate, though you might want to make some still water tiles, because irl small ponds and lakes have little water movement on most days.  If you want to make river or stream water tiles, you ought to animate tiles so that they have a specific directional flow.  Looks good though.

Colors in general are nice as usual.

Besides a few of these minor tweaks I'd say it's time to move on and get a wider variety of tiles in here  :)

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 05:23:22 am
Hmm, yeah, I see the giant dark horizontals there, I'm just unsure how to tackle breaking up the line there at this point without having to completely redraw a bunch of grass.

And okay, I guess you're right about the water there. I sort of drew the water independent from the grass, and THEN made the grass edges. Still-looking water tiles and flowing streams are a good call. Mixes it up a bit, too!