AuthorTopic: Collossus sprite, WIP, help me pweety pweese  (Read 10722 times)

Offline hotnikkelz

• View Profile

Collossus sprite, WIP, help me pweety pweese

on: October 05, 2008, 06:13:43 am
Having insane problems cleaning this up. Any help greatly appreciated.

I would like the booths and stuff to be somewhat reflective as well. Metal shading is so hard for me.  The face is troublesome as well, cuz it's so small i can hardly get the highlights in heh. What to do? ???

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Collossus sprite, WIP, help me pweety pweese

Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 08:28:36 am
The iron parts of Collosus are about 30% of him, the yellow parts of him are like 20% of him and the red is the rest. Yet the yellow gets 6 color slots, and the red and gray get three and four each?

One step further, the red-yellow can be made into a single hue shifted ramp easily. Then the gray would best not be treated as PURE GRAY which is almost never a good idea. You're doing a great job with the reflections on the metal, but grey is dull and almost never occurs in life.

This has a very cool stylization to it, congrats. Clean up and finishing are easy when you get the methods down. But to do proper cleanup first you have to have final colors.

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 09:53:25 am
In the comic, Colossus' metal skin is often more blue than just gray.
I like the distorted proportions, but maybe make the head a little bit bigger, to make it easier to detail.

Offline hotnikkelz

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 06:06:58 pm
Thanks Helm and Emtch, did an edit, i hope it reflected what you guys recommended.

Still getting trouble on the metal reflection highlights on the face, i was wondering if i should have another colour, that is a lil darker than white, cuz right now the white is looking really loud on the head and kind overshadowing the midtone. What do you guys think?

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)

Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 12:36:17 am
As it stands currently, with the ginormous bulging biceps, the chest and rest of the torso look almost completely flat.  Try and round it out a bit more similar to the arm.  You don't have to do it quite as drastically as the way the arm is done to keep the exaggerated proportion style you have going here, but anything to stray from it looking like gumballs taped to a flat pencil eraser would be a turn for the better (no offense with the analogy).  Otherwise, I love this piece so far! 

Offline hotnikkelz

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 03:55:37 am

minor update, added some depth to the pants, and the chest and torso like you recommended Argyle (Thanks!) some highlights on where his neck muscles and trapezius as well. Another problem has surfaced though, i can't figure out a colour for the shadows for the yellow.  Even the highlights for the yellow i'm not 100% comfortable with.  I'm not feeling the orange too much.  Any suggestions? :D

Offline hotnikkelz

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 03:18:52 am
no more help guys?  :'( i dunno how to proceed. Helm emtch, anyone?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 08:45:52 am
You could proceed about taking initial critique on how 4 colors are not enough for the metal parts. The lines on the arms could be also lightened when over brighter parts, it's a simple sequence of substitution of the black outline for a lighter one when you have the colors. The face also will benefit from more colors. The yellow is too blanket shaded, and the point where it touches red on his top needs to be AAed, for which you seem to not have colors to do currently because you didn't so much bridge the yellow and red ramps as you just put the colors in them in the same row.

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 04:11:53 pm
I tried to help a little. It's mostly a sligth palette edit, i brought the red and yellow more together (but I think it needs to be a little more unified). I also added another color to the face, because your metal palette definitely needs more colors. Lastly I added a bit of AA on the jacket on the chest.

no more help guys?  :'( i dunno how to proceed. Helm emtch, anyone?

HAHA :lol: Why are you calling for help from me? I'm a newbie too, plus I believe you are a bit better at this than I am, at least making the shapes.

Offline hotnikkelz

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 07:34:50 pm

This is where i'm at now, i didn't want to really proceed with the red and yellow before getting the ramp correctly! I suck at making ramps as you can tell, am i on the right path or....did i mess up again? How do i go about making an ideal ramp.  I ran into major problems with the AA, i got confused with too many colours.

Anyway I did most of the metal areas, still have some work to do on the face, i'd like to eventually pixel a background. 
Thanks Helm, thanks Emtch! any advice is appreciated from anyone, newbie or not. This is like my 5th attempt at pixelart.