AuthorTopic: WIP guy with hammer  (Read 54464 times)

Offline Raytheon

• bepp bepp
    • View Profile

Re: WIP guy with hammer

Reply #80 on: October 25, 2008, 08:08:16 pm
much better, but the walking or thumping looks odd
i am a computern

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #81 on: October 26, 2008, 02:36:39 pm

Offline Dokozai

• View Profile

Reply #82 on: October 26, 2008, 03:03:22 pm

It seems his entire physique changes when he jumps, you might wanna look into that.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #83 on: October 26, 2008, 11:10:53 pm

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #84 on: October 26, 2008, 11:29:19 pm

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #85 on: October 27, 2008, 02:04:50 am
Okay, I need some help. I'm trying to think of a way to have him run, but I can't think of any way to have him do it with that big hammer. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Diagrams or examples are even better. Thanks in advance.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #86 on: October 27, 2008, 02:36:25 am
Okay, I need some help. I'm trying to think of a way to have him run, but I can't think of any way to have him do it with that big hammer. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Diagrams or examples are even better. Thanks in advance.
Try. Look at other running animations, find some threads with other run cycles and observe. Then create one from what you've learned through your own study and then it'd be easier for other members to help you. Asking us for help on something you have yet to create isn't going to work.

As for your posted animations, I'm impressed with your progress since the first post. The portrait is still a mess and you really should work with drawing portraits from photographs or have a friend model for you, whatever works, and really pay attention to drawing what you're seeing.

On the walking animation, I like that you show weight in his steps. I've always found it a bit ridiculous when characters in games move swiftly with large weapons (Cloud from FF7 being the most notable), so it's a nice departure to a more realistic walk under the circumstances.

The jump animation, his torso and head both shrink slightly on the falling frames. Also, his arm rotates around the handle. First his palm is facing up then, as he's falling, it faces down, but there's no indication of rotation in the hammer. I'm having trouble trying to visualize how the rotation of his arm would affect the weapon (would it flip the entire weapon so the hammer's head would then be in front of his body? I used to be so proud of my spatial reasoning), so hopefully you or someone else can figure out how to move the weapon to synchronize it with the movement of his arm.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 02:46:09 am by Blick »

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #87 on: October 27, 2008, 02:44:26 am
Okay, thanks.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #88 on: October 27, 2008, 02:54:15 am
Now here's where you should take strain and comfort into consideration. Someone wouldn't necessarily want to move into a position that's painful. With that being said, try a demonstration. Keep your palm facing up and see if you can move both arms behind your back and level with your shoulders, as the character is now doing in his falling frames. Hurts, no?

Simply keeping his palm facing upward throughout is a quick fix, but an uncomfortable one. Switching it so his palm is facing down at all times is also, with the existing frames, an uncomfortable one.

In my opinion, you'd be better off with rotating the weapon or finding a new way for him to hold that hammer, which both mean more than a few pixels would have to be altered.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #89 on: October 28, 2008, 12:12:52 am