AuthorTopic: WIP guy with hammer  (Read 54469 times)

Offline Yo-Yo-Master

• My failed attempt at mimicking XenoStriker's style
    • View Profile
    • My DA..nothing much yet >>

Re: WIP guy with hammer

Reply #50 on: October 15, 2008, 07:33:19 pm
I'm too late...and too lazy.
Since it seems like the character may need some reworking, ignore the body shape.  Since I didn't want to work too hard on this, ignore the shitty rotation/shape change/lack of arm and body movement on most slides.  That slew of wrongs aside, here's what I think is a more swishy version of that hammer swing.  Since this looks to be used in a game, you want the reaction time to be fairly responsive, even if it is a heavy weapon and takes time to get going.  I saw you wrote combo and my brain went *dingding* and I decided to show you a swooshy, classic swing combo in context.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #51 on: October 16, 2008, 01:57:49 am
It'll just be a two hit combo.

should I shorten the neck?

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #52 on: October 16, 2008, 03:03:58 am
   So I take it you're sticking with the stick figure anatomy then, despite our telling you it may not be for the best? I'm not sure if you understand our telling you that the way the character looks seems slightly...amateurish(sorry, don't mean to be mean. Just think it's time for you to hear it straight forward). Even though you posted the game it's style is based off of( Densetsu No Stafy 2), I can see no influence from the game what so ever. Round head, thin limbs, big feet: What are trying to accomplish keeping the character like this?
   I guess you must have some preference for this supposed game for the characters to look like this. For whatever reason, I hope you can find some way to make it work, as I still believe it definitely won't. Whelp, we all have our choices...
my back hurts...

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: October 16, 2008, 03:18:51 am
What do you mean exactly by a stick figure anatomy? I tried to make his arms thicker if that was what you were referring to. Did you mean something else? I'm trying to take every bit of critique I can get, so don't give up on me. Oh, and it isn't really influenced so much by DNS2 anymore. It was just kind of the base for shading and such on the earlier versions.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 03:22:22 am by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #54 on: October 16, 2008, 10:43:16 am
dude, you would agree with "you have to learn to crawl before you learn to walk" right?

right now, you are trying to animate a character whose anatomy isnt really all that spotless. doing a static character that has a correct anatomy is a chalenge in it self. its not something to do in a couple of minuts, or after a couple of weeks pixeling. it takes time for your brain to be able to look at an image and spot what wrong with it. and then even if you have a correct anatomy, its going to take loads of time for you to be able to animate it correctly, because anatomy in motion brings in loads of other stresses, like the sugestion of wheight, gravity, elasticity, etc etc. I mean, you can do it. there's really nothing stoping you. but you're going to be eighter banging your head against the wall, or implementing peoples sugestions without fully understanting what they do or why they look better.
by trying to animate before you can properly draw you are learning none of these two.
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #55 on: October 16, 2008, 12:20:38 pm
Okay, so I'll just choose one pose to work with for now.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #56 on: October 16, 2008, 10:15:11 pm
So uh, I kinda swiped your skin pallet Bob. I also changed the hairdo if nothing else to make it more manageable. The old one coan be an alt or something.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #57 on: October 16, 2008, 10:28:18 pm
Hm no this isn't very good anatomy. Would you might drawing and posting a reasonably sized pencil drawing of the same character in a pose you think is a good idle? I think the problems you need to adress are not pixel-arty right now, they are classical skill related.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #58 on: October 16, 2008, 10:52:34 pm
what do you mean by classical skill?

Offline Destiny

• View Profile

Reply #59 on: October 16, 2008, 11:00:10 pm
Being able to draw on paper.