AuthorTopic: WIP guy with hammer  (Read 54457 times)

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Re: WIP guy with hammer

Reply #40 on: October 13, 2008, 11:36:08 pm

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Reply #41 on: October 14, 2008, 07:37:59 am
When looking at this animation various things occurred to me.

Your animation has much more power now, but the character lacks in life, it looks stiff. That is because he doesn't use his whole body to move the "heavy" hammer. I tried an edit to increase his body movement to put more life into the animation (I used your old animation as a guide).

I think the animation looks more lively now, but the main problem is still there: The hammer doesn't look heavy! It reminds me of the "fake-hammer" in One Piece. It's weight looks like 5t but it's 2kg in real. The animation (body movement) itself is not the problem, just the hammer doesn't fit. To be honest, it looks more like he's playing golf.

But HOW do you make it looks heavy? Gravity! Look at your animation, but played backward (I had to delete the motion blur. Otherwise it wouldn't work).

Now you have a heavy hammer. And surprise, the timing is still the same! What do we learn here? Use the gravity to increase the power of the "slam" (and don't work against it like you do in your animation now). Just ask your own experience. Did you ever chopped wood? How did you do that? Use your axe, extend yourself, hold it as high as possible to put as much potential energy as possible and with one blow you release all energy to chop the wood.
Use your experience and natural feel to put more life into your animation and make it believable. You went a long way but you can go even further. Be persistent!

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: October 14, 2008, 12:32:45 pm
... that move was going to be the second part of the combo.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: October 14, 2008, 04:08:49 pm
... that move was going to be the second part of the combo.

That's awesome, i thought that'd be cool as well! O:

Anyways, disregarding the his suggestion about changing pose, notice how awesomely heavy and dangerous the hammer movement looks when played backwards - try to get that feel on the upswing as well. Might do an edit when I get home.
' _ '

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: October 14, 2008, 09:23:34 pm
Yeah, I know. I think what I'll do is have it drag slowly along the ground a bit, then snap up quickly, then slow down again.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: October 15, 2008, 02:36:50 am

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #46 on: October 15, 2008, 05:54:22 am
If this is the first part of the combo I hope your enemies are incredibly slow.  I have had to learn this as well, and make my first attacks much quicker.  Generally the slower an attack the more power it has.  The longer it takes to swing the more risk you take but with that added power it's also a reward.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #47 on: October 15, 2008, 07:41:46 am
To be honest, I wouldn't think it's safe to move forward with animating, before reconsidering your characters stance, and style. If I were a gamer, I'd probably walk away from this one, by the looks of it..

Other left out points include how the hammer is being held, and how it and the character don't seem to coexist at all. This is especially evident in the animations you've already begun, and in my opinion, needs fixing. The last attack animation you've posted is basically showing my point, in that the character is making minimal movement, where as the hammer is moving every 2-3 frames for every 1 frame of the character himself. Remember, when using a weapon like this, a character's movement is just as vital as the weapon's movement. In which case, you've got some unnatural things going on.
   Now I'm not ragging on you or anything, I'm just not a fan of this style of art by young gamers who don't seem to understand real life physics and jump head first into projects like this without taking it into consideration. Hope this helps a little, and good luck!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 07:46:35 am by The B.O.B. »
my back hurts...

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #48 on: October 15, 2008, 11:56:43 am
This is good critique. I was following this thread and getting frustrated that although there's been great advice on things, nobody seemed intent on tackling 'the bull'.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: October 15, 2008, 12:56:21 pm
I moved on because people stopped critiquing the idle. Apparently it needs a lot more work.