AuthorTopic: WIP guy with hammer  (Read 54461 times)

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Re: WIP guy with hammer

Reply #30 on: October 11, 2008, 12:56:47 pm
I haven't even finished his movement yet, only the first two frames.

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: October 11, 2008, 04:52:53 pm
I haven't even finished his movement yet, only the first two frames.
I know, but the frames that are there now makes it look like his hammer is full of helium.

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: October 11, 2008, 11:32:33 pm
Might be a good idea to put yourself in the situation and imagine how you'd swing a hammer. If you can, get your hands on a sledgehammer and try find a smooth or quick way to strike something. Don't smash yourself, though :D

For a heavy object as such, I imagine two efficient ways of attacking with it. One would be to spin or twirl in order to use your own weight against the weight of the hammer, and the momentum of your spin to provide power to the attack. Kinda like the olympic hammer throw, just... less letting go.

The other way would be to have gravity work with you, not against you. Normally, when swinging a sledgehammer, I grab as close to the heavy end as possible, lift it up as high as I can, and then swing it down with all the force I can muster.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: October 12, 2008, 02:36:25 am
Every pose is a WIP. I've only really got much done on the arms.

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: October 12, 2008, 07:54:58 am
In an animation, you have no single frames, just the animation. Your animation is built up with frames, but you never see a single one, just the whole. Thus it doesn't makes sense to have 2 frames "finished" and then try to make a lively animation with adding more "finished frames".

Try to capture the motion with rough frames first and clean up the single frames after you finished the animation. With that many frames you have here a motion blur isn't needed at all. In my opinion motion blur is totally overvalued [edit: It makes sense with few frames]. I tried to make a hammerblow just like you but with more "woosh-ness".

Don't forget that you have a 3D space where you can animate, you don't have to restrict yourself to the 2D plane your character's walking on.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 07:56:47 am by Rosse »

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: October 12, 2008, 10:46:26 am
Also, with the Animation..

near the end, the handle thing.. bends. I'd be worried if a hammer did that :P

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: October 13, 2008, 03:02:37 pm

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: October 13, 2008, 05:10:50 pm

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: October 13, 2008, 07:07:58 pm
Much better, but it still looks too light, try to add more strain on the first 2 or 3 frames. Lose the motion blur on the foot.

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: October 13, 2008, 07:58:35 pm
To swing a massive hammer like that, he'd need at least some momentum - it's hardly an arm strength thing, it's more about how much energy you build up in your stance before swinging.

That said, imagine swinging a massive sledgehammer. When I do it in the mirror, I crouch a little and bring the hammer back behind me, bringing most or all of the weight of my body on the back leg, bending it. Then i use all my upper body strength to swing the hammer over my head and at the same time straighten my back leg, gradually bringing my weight to the front with the hammer. To finish off I'd either end up dragging the hammer back on the floor after impact or if i'm swinging it in horizontally, it would end up behind me and i'd swing it back to its' original spot slowly.