AuthorTopic: Lowpoly Mega...Hiro o.O {wip}  (Read 23325 times)

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Lowpoly Mega...Hiro o.O {wip}

on: October 05, 2008, 01:09:33 am
What can I say I've got some crazy megaman fever going on right now.  :D
I'm currently trying to beat mm8 and having a hell of a time with wily. In my free time I've come up with this!

200 tris, 2 128x128 textures and has an interchangable gun arm which I haven't textured yet. I was trying to go for DS specs but I kind of just came up with my own limitations as I don;t know the DS specs.

C&C welcome.

He started out looking like this:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 09:24:22 pm by Jakten »

Offline v.rus777

• View Profile

Re: Lowpoly Megaman {wip}

Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 01:23:15 am
He reminds a lot of the Wind Waker style. It's pretty nice, I wonder what a 3d game would be like with the original megaman.

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 02:16:34 am
Haha everyones been saying it reminds them of wind waker style. Not that thats bad it just wasn't my intention XD.
They acctually created a 3D version of the first megaman for the PSP called Megaman Powered Up, The added 2 new bosses as well. Timeman and Oilman

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 02:49:43 am
I hated MMPU's graphics, the heads were way too huge, it just wasn't megaman.

If the game had looked like THIS on the other hand, I would've cried tears of joy.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 03:05:43 am
hmm, could we see the maps?  I feel like there might be a bit of wasted space, though that could be a factor of the polycount being relatively low.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 03:21:35 am
I've been working on it abit so the texture might look a bit different than whats on the model currently.
I do have a good amount of room along the top but I plan to add the Buster texture and a couple of different expressions along the top. I'm acctually not sure how to go about expressions though. I think either, seperate on the same map, seperate maps for each expression or an animated gif that somehow can have its frames be able to be set for each expression.
Also I have a pupil mapped to a triangle plane so I can move his pupils freely.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 03:28:52 am by Jakten »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 04:54:17 am

mostly the issue i see is that you could probably use flat color (aka a single pixel) for several pieces which would free u[ a lot of space methinks, although this *may*  not be possible if the polys are quite large i tihnk you could get away with it a lot more than you try to.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 04:56:58 am
256x128 is huge for a DS character. With the very limited texture memory available on the system, you'd be much better off going with a couple of 32x32s. Probably a separate 32x32 (or 16x16) for the face so you can swap facial expressions. Let's see some wires, as well, so we can crit the mesh construction.

That said, this is cute as hell. :D

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 02:38:57 pm
Nice start, tho I think even on a DS a main character can have a bit more than 200 tris. I would actually model some of the detail like the thing on the rop of his helmet and the eatbits. you can just make em seperate objects and stick em in to avoid creating more tris where they would connect with the head if the model was solid. I think actually modelling the helmet to protrude from the face a bit would be good too.

The UV looks VERY unefficient, esp. given with how little detail you have. Lots of the polys cculd be mapped to a single pixel, which on the DS is ok as it does not filter.

Little edit I made, mainly on colours and some edits on the head (mainly face).
Something I noticed in all your art is that all your colours are rather desaturaated and low contrast, which makes for quite boring colours in most cases.

Silly edit because I felt like it. lolquake :D

Keep it up.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 02:58:23 pm by ptoing »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 11:25:13 am
try as much as you can to fit your texture into a square space. its easier to place it in memory. dont ask me why, but all of my programmer friends say that if you cant make it into a square, its best to "allocate" in and to fetch it, thus improving the performance.

Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!