AuthorTopic: Game Animations and other game's stuff  (Read 7263 times)

Offline Zccc

• View Profile

Game Animations and other game's stuff

on: October 03, 2008, 05:19:24 pm
Hi! It's my first topic here, and I'm here to request your help.

I'm developing a game with a friend, and I'm doing the graphics stuff. I'm still a bit of a begginer, that's why I came to this dead end.

First of all, here is the game character and his idle animation. (I couldn't find an animation program, sorry. Hope you don't mind.)

Thank's Quake for animation.

I'm a trouble with colors. Say what is wrong about that issue.

And an walking animation, badly done by me (not an animation expert).

Thank's Shrike for animation.

UPDATE!

I'm very proud of this one. I took sugestions and worked more on it.

Please, comment and thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 09:38:07 pm by Zccc »

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Re: Game Animations and other game's stuff

Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 06:08:58 pm

Pretty cool animation, not sure about the top hair or whatever it is moving..

I'd do the other one for you, but i need to go sorry D:

oh and i used Graphics gale, which is free... But you need a paid version to save as .GIF

if you need any help with Graphics Gale.. or whateveer just pm me or ask in General Discussion.

Offline Zccc

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 06:12:22 pm
Thanks, Quake!

The top hair is kind of a fuzzy electricity thing... I just animated it bad, I think.
I don't know about graphics gale... I tried it once, but it seemed confusing.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 07:47:00 pm
These are great. good character, awesome color choice, and pretty fluid animations. The head looked like a liquid to me when i first saw it, like green stuff in a container. Graphics gale is awesome, i thought the same at first but i spent time with it and i came to love it. Bought the full, actually.Theres some tweaking that could be done, but first let me animate your walk for you. :)

There he is. Its an interesting idea, i may have to try that approach, but tackle it again with some method. Get 'the animators survival kit' by Richard Williams from the library, priceless walk animation information there. I love your guy, but do some studying on walks and do a walk before doing a run. These things are the hardest to animate, so don't feel bad. My first run was atrocious. :P

For the idle, there should be an inbetween between the down and up, so it looks natural. Arms are a little awkward, might want to adjust a little. Lots of animators fear covering up their character with limbs and such, but dont be afraid.

One more thing on the walk and i'll leave you alone, i promise. When the arms cross on the second step, either have them cross again on the first or leave them the way they are on the first and make it the same way on the second.
I have to go for now, but is everything clear?
Adios, amigo!
~Shrike

Offline Teknogames

• Indie Game Dev - http://teknopants.com
    • View Profile
    • Teknopants.com

Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 02:03:02 am
it looks weird because he is sliding. I would suggest putting 1-2 frames where he is in full stretch in the air. And landing frames.
Maybe this will help:

Stepping/ legs cross/ air/ air again/ landing  -----> go back to stepping

repeat that for both legs seperate though, unless you can pull off a cheat animation (less work and it still looks great if done right)

I like your character!
Indie Game Dev - http://teknopants.com

Offline Krumbs

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 08:24:25 pm
What do you guys use to animate those. And what do you do to animate it? got a couple of sprites I want to have a go at animating.

Offline Zccc

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 09:40:10 pm
Update on walking.

Idle will stay the same.

Offline $ymbol

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 11:05:19 pm
http://www.idleworm.com/how/anm/02w/walk1.shtml

If you're looking for this kind of walk, I would suggest some tutorials.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 03:30:59 pm
Nice new walk!
it looks much better, but there are a few issues still. The most prominent is i cant tell the difference between the legs because they are the same color. Make the one furthest from us the shading color so its distinguishable from the other. I love your drawing style, how long have you been pixeling? And do you draw with pencil and paper?

Another nitpick, but its a big one. The legs change size a lot, try to stay consistent. And maybe make the inbetween/leg passing point hold out longer? Really nice job, god improvement. I look forward to more from you, Zccc!

Adios!
~Shrike.

Offline Zccc

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 04:00:25 pm
Nice new walk!
it looks much better, but there are a few issues still. The most prominent is i cant tell the difference between the legs because they are the same color. Make the one furthest from us the shading color so its distinguishable from the other. I love your drawing style, how long have you been pixeling? And do you draw with pencil and paper?

Another nitpick, but its a big one. The legs change size a lot, try to stay consistent. And maybe make the inbetween/leg passing point hold out longer? Really nice job, god improvement. I look forward to more from you, Zccc!

Adios!
~Shrike.

Thanks for the good comment!  :P I'm pixelling for about two years, I don't know. To make these I just pixel them in MS Paint. I start with the outline for the animation. Of course I draw some poses in paper to understand them.

Okay, for your first suggestion, I don't think that will work, because it will be a big change from the idle. But I didn't try, so I wont judge it.

And for the other things, I will make some tests and post them here. Thanks again.

Update:

Shadow on leg and some minor things.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 04:34:26 pm by Zccc »