AuthorTopic: for the king of spriters  (Read 10196 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

for the king of spriters

on: January 05, 2006, 02:49:04 am
after all the critiques given by helm on my earlier sprite i was like" oh well, its just for fun"
but then i remembered that one of my new years revolutions was to strive in my art endeavors and i wouldnt want to lose a resolution THAT quickly. noting that i should wait till ive drawn that character i made this instead. which right now i think shows my anatomy knowledge much better. i hope to get rid of all errors at a basic stage so that it wont haunt me later. i would greatly appreciate edits and critique of any sort and i need most help on the hands the knee joint area and his feet. note his right arm is purposefully pumped up like that .

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: for the king of spriters

Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 10:15:29 am
It's good that you decided to stick with it. This however, suffers from anatomical issues as well, and since it's not obstructed by clothes, the errors stick out much more than in the other sprite. You're inventing muscle groups everywhere, especially the lower arms and crotch and legs. He's also completely off-balance. What I suggest you do is pick up an artists's anatomy book, and study from the ground up. No amount of pixel-tweaking will help directly at this stage.

The hard way to help yourself would be to not study anything directly, just keep drawing iterations of the same strange muscled people, until either of the two things happens: a) you get gradually better as you find your own errors, or b) you don't get much better in that front, but get better in others sufficiently until everybody thinks the strange anatomy is your 'style'. The former way just takes years you could shave off if you buy ONE book and instensively study for 6 months. The latter is just artistic death, in my opinion.

If you'd like, I could edit this to make it more or less correct ( I'm not a master of anatomy or anything ) but as I said, I'm not sure it's going to help to study step 12 when you're one step 1 right now.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 08:00:22 pm
i looked at various pages on google on lower body anotomy while doing this. guess it didnt help much. also, where you say muscle groups in the lower arms, are you sure that i just dint exxagerate them correctly? on the legs i can understand as i officially suck at the anotomy of the lower body. i think ill scrap this one as well and try a different pose of him. an edit i think would still help, since ive got 2 anatomy books right now and using both the book and the edit i would probably find my mistakes easily.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 09:28:05 pm
i took a look at a book written by andy simth(comic artist, for titles such as first man and armor X)
and heres what i came up with. im timid to do the hands and feet because i really like the result of this so far and second they are what i need help with the most.
(dont mind his ass, ill try and think up something to cover it)

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 09:35:53 pm
Sometimes it helps understanding the underlying structure of the object in question, such as a foot you could look at all the bones in it and go further by seeing how muscles attach to the bones and where the tendons meet and so forth. This can give you a larger understanding of how multiple pieces of a larger whole comes together to be defined a certain general way that is recognizable and identifyable to anyone.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 09:48:01 pm
ill look into that, i did look at some models of bone structure in the feet when i did the last one. but it didnt really help out to much.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 09:55:16 pm
the second is generally much better than the first one, but try to keep in mind that even in superhero physique, people aren't made of blobs of bloated muscle. Try to contrapost curve versus line, outside curve to inside curve. The last thing you want is 'balloon muscles'. A lot of people, even professionals do this as well. I'll try to make some sort of relevant edit later on.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 10:18:17 pm
i think i need to fix some of the muscles that connect his thighhs to his obliques. ill stop posting now and wait for your edit  :P
fixed those muscles, i think i fixed them correctly but im not sure. i also just HAD to try and give him a little color and i like the result of it. but i dont know if its final.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 09:39:00 pm by Ryumaru »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 01:51:02 am
ive colored more, and even tho i still have to "tighten up" the shading i am in love with this sprite. i might add onemore color later, but im not sure, the contrast between the black and the darkest shade is maybe  a bit too much for me. well anyways here it is.

if helm never critiqued my last sprite i wouldnt have even made this, thanks alot man.

Offline Ari

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 02:01:22 am
holy fucking shit! that coloroing is insane dude! Forget about everything else, thats some insane shadeing!
I see
Said the blind man
To his deff dog
In the corner of the round room.