AuthorTopic: Killer whale  (Read 5537 times)

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Killer whale

on: October 01, 2008, 02:54:10 pm
Tried to make a killer whale for this weeks challenge at pixeljoint. It's gonna be in a fishbowl on a table. Still in a very early wip stage, but I thought I'd post it anyways for some feedback.
Latest update!

All feedback is appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 04:49:20 pm by Emtch »

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Re: Killer whale

Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 03:58:59 pm
There's not too much to comment on this, but I have a few suggestions.

The first is to check out several images of killer whales. It seems you've got a decent grasp as to how one looks, but everything seems a bit too bubbly and warbly at the moment. Fish are smooth and curvy, but they are also streamlined in an aerodynamic fashion. This is, of course, so they can swim proficiently.

Secondly, you might want to rethink the image entirely. The pose is pretty boring, and it might make incorporating new things to the image a bit more difficult. Is the whale going to be tiny or will it be gigantic? What are you going to put in the image to give the viewer that impression? Is the image going to have any perspective or is it going to be flat planed like a 2d platformer? Those are all questions you should be asking yourself before you go all gung-ho on the whale its self.

Offline skamocore

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/10442.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 04:58:46 pm
Even though you've AA'd a some of the places they still look very jaggy, sometimes you need to use more than one pixel of AA. I've seen a lot of people do this recently.

I've quickly re-AA'd some places:

Also, I agree with Doppleganger, it's one thing to just make a whale, but this challenge calls for a whole scene. You are not doing yourself any favours by going straight into it and not planning out the scene first. If you have actually planned out a scene, it would be helpful if you told us some more details, like Dopple said, will it be small or big? In comparison to what? (if it's a small whale is it in a bath? a pond? a teardrop? etc...)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 05:00:40 pm by skamocore »

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 02:18:47 pm
The biggest problem I have right now is angles, like at the underside of the tail fin has a very harsc transition to 45 degree, and I don't know how to fix that. About the scene/pose being boring, I had the plan thought out from the beginning, I just forgot to post it, the whale is supposed to be in a fishbowl. I am maybe gonna add another whale splashing up over the surface.
Even though you've AA'd a some of the places they still look very jaggy, sometimes you need to use more than one pixel of AA. I've seen a lot of people do this recently.

I've quickly re-AA'd some places:

Also, I agree with Doppleganger, it's one thing to just make a whale, but this challenge calls for a whole scene. You are not doing yourself any favours by going straight into it and not planning out the scene first. If you have actually planned out a scene, it would be helpful if you told us some more details, like Dopple said, will it be small or big? In comparison to what? (if it's a small whale is it in a bath? a pond? a teardrop? etc...)
Yeah I was thinking of doing that, but I didn't because I wanted to censerve colors, but I've changed some plans so now I have another free color and can use as another AA color.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 02:35:42 pm by Emtch »

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 03:55:46 pm
Update, in the very last hours!  :D

I'm working on the shape of the bowl, which is incredibly vucking hard. I have removed buttons from the remote and changed the background. I might change the folds (the ugly crap in the bottom of the picture) if I have the time.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 04:49:35 pm by Emtch »

Offline Beoran

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 06:55:24 pm
The back of the bottom of the bowl should be visible too, as a slight line, I think.
Kind Regards, Beoran.

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 08:35:47 pm
it was better outside of the bowl.