AuthorTopic: [WIP] Canine Private Eye  (Read 8612 times)

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Canine Private Eye

Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 01:47:08 pm
I would suggest trying to base the tween frame on a more realistic movement.

You are making a the motion blur. Imagine it as just that a blur of the frames you might see in slow motion.

The arm would face downwards while going into the pocket and swing upwards and bend when removing the item.

I've made a sloppy edit here to try and show my thoughts in motion (it would need a lot of tweaking).

EDIT: I realized your 1st sprite has a bulge. bring it back!

« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 01:52:57 pm by willfaulds »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 08:01:03 pm
Mainly started out as a shticky gag to include with a character concept animation.  Not sure the direction I'd like to take the character when it comes to writing the story for the adventure yet.  It could be a high-tech gun shaped like a gun.  It might be just a bone and this particular dog has way too much of a hyperactive imagination.  For now, though, let's just keep it as a bone that he's gimmickingly holding like a gun :P
It might be worth to add a part of the bone that can be handled like the cross (?) of a gun then. The way he's currently placing his "fingers" do not fit the way to hold a gun. He seems more to hold a bone that he's going to throw at his pet, and it's almost a miracle he managed to get it that quickly without having the thing slippering out of his hand.

But it's very fun ;)
Reminds me of "Sherlock Emlos" (french pun), a canine private eye from my very first "book where you're the hero" that had a magnifying glass with a bone-shaped handle ;)

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)

Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 11:08:37 am
Did a quick (ha, yeah right.  takes me almost half an hour per frame) update on the blur effect, and the jacket bulge has returned

Will definitely work on the rest of the frames, wanted to try your advice on the blend, which I found much more polished and sensible.  Thanks!

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 05:14:56 pm
I don't think a motion blur is needed. This animation looks lifeless because it has no motion aside from the drawing arm. I tried an edit to show how the body can move while drawing the bone (I used Tremulant's edit as the base).

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 12:04:27 am

Drew out some rough outlines of keyframes that will be animated with the in-betweens put in.  Still have a few ideas of things to elaborate on, like him looking over and double-taking at the bone, dropping it, then going back in to grab a gun or something.

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 12:22:27 am

Here's the updated renders so far, crits always appreciated!

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 11:05:42 am
you gave him "muscular" ears, as he is able to force them to be horizontal while checking for that curious sound he heard. Alternative would be flappy ears that he's got to lift with his hand. not sure whether you actually did pick one of the option here.

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 05:15:26 pm
Never considered that.  Can't say I've ever reallllllly studied a dog's ears and how they work.  I know they can perk them up and down when curious about something, but when it comes to an ol' floppy-eared hound dog's ears I suppose they aren't the most controllable things with that much muscle in them.  Though, I am going for a cartoony style.