AuthorTopic: First Pixel(I think) Art. **Update**  (Read 4382 times)

Offline Bloodmourn

• View Profile

First Pixel(I think) Art. **Update**

on: January 04, 2006, 08:05:01 pm
I just decided VERY recently that I would attempt pixel art. I think I've done this correctly, but any help or comments is much appreciated. This is an original character, and it is my first real try at producing a picture in this manner, so try not to flame me too horribly.

Okay, following Xion's advice, I tried something smaller. Inspired by the King of Spriters thread, I made a feeble attempt at a realistic sprite of myself, pot-belly and all. Have a look-see and tell me what you guys think. Of course, just as before C+C are welcome.

Made some adjustments on the picture, more shading and such.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 05:57:12 am by Bloodmourn »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: First Pixel(I think) Art.

Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 11:59:24 pm
Not too shabby for a first try. I like the design of this guy. Nice horns.

Ahem, then.

The first thing I might say is this: You might want to consider starting small. If you really wanna have a go at a large Pixel piece, try about half that size.
You should also clean up your lines, because now they're littered with jagged edges.
The third thing is shading. Before you start to color your piece, try defining a lightsource and shade accordingly. Highlights would also look nice on the black armor parts.

Oh, and his foot is massive.

Anyway, welcome to the forums, persevere, learn, improve, and...stuff.  :)

Offline Bloodmourn

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 12:27:34 am
Thanks for the help, Xion! I guess I'm going to need to look into a few tutorials and get my bearings on highlighting those bits of armor. I wanted to in the first place, but I didn't want to mess it up and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to pull it off. I'll clean up my lines, too. I was going to try a smaller piece, but this one just wanted to come out, so I tried it first. Thanks again, man!

Offline Derek_R

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 02:09:23 am
Don't worry about not being able to pull it off. You wont know till you try will ya  :). If you don't get it at first just try again until you get it right. Don't overstress yourself xD.

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 12:00:12 pm
I can tell you draw a lot with the form of the character.  While pixel art is very similar to drawing there is a few major differences and one main thing is being able to get back your original with the click of a mouse.  Save a few copies throughout your work and you'll never be scared to mess up.  Yet also because your a sketch artist and are new to pixel art I see you try and use things that look good on a sketch pad but pretty dirty on a computer.  When in pixel art unless you’re going for a certain style smooth lines look nice.  Not necessarily vertical or horizontal but with a constant slope and curve.  Good luck.
Also don’t worry we never flame in this forum in topics concerning art, actually we try not to flame at all.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 12:02:37 pm by Mercury Rising »
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline Bloodmourn

• View Profile

Re: First Pixel(I think) Art. **Update**

Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 08:16:42 pm
Thanks for the awesome comments guys, I've been working on some other stuff, just playing around with some of the things you all have mentioned. I might pull something else up to post on here soon. In any case, thanks for the help with the first pic, and I'm still looking for any help on the second, I don't know if I should take the silence as a compliment or not.  :P

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 08:53:54 pm
Ah, the new one is much improved...From what I can see. Unfortunately it's .JPG'd. You should usually try to save as .png or .gif when dealing with pixel art, as jpgs screw up the colors which defeats the purpose of pixelling.
Anyway.
You've done rather well on the wrinkles on his shirt and upper pants, and his everything between his knees and his neck are pretty ok. However, from what I can see, you still have many jagged pixels. An Improvement from the first, most certainly, but they are still in a few areas.
On his head, his eye is too high, and his nose looks a bit odd.
On his lower legs, it looks like you rushed the wrinkles as compared to those on the body and upper pants. The area also seems a bit flat...

His hand needs some work.

Anyway, it looks like you've improved much just between those two pics. Good job.

Offline BoogieManX

• I'm Coming For You
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 03:54:00 am
Those are amazing pics for starting pixeling not too long ago. Nice ideas, i think youll be an awesome pixeler before long  ;)