AuthorTopic: Panda sprite  (Read 2687 times)

Offline Adam M.

• View Profile

Panda sprite

on: September 30, 2008, 05:58:48 pm
Here's panda sprite for a platformer I just started working on:

I'm new to this but comments and critiques are welcome.

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Re: Panda sprite

Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 06:56:58 pm
Made an edit. A really sloppy one. I added another color, hope it didn't ruin the image.

DO NOT BLOW UP THE IMAGE!!!
First of all I would advice against using the standard mspaint colors. His head was too wide, I reduced it a little, but I think it's still too big. I also cleaned the lines up a bit. His stance was really awkward, everything was from different perspective, like those egyptian paintings or a picasso painting. Also the buttons on the stomach were in a straight line, I tried to make some depth, but it will be really hard to place them good without subpixeling. You should look at tutorials and use references.

Anyways, Good luck.

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Re: Panda sprite

Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 08:11:03 pm
I like your concept.

Some thing first. I know it's a panda, but it doesn't scream panda. To communicate panda more you should be more accurate with the colors first. Did you use a reference? What you have midgrey should be much darker, near black. One additional thing is his chest is black too. These things will make your concept much more panda-ish.
In my remake I slightly turned it away from the viewer which result in a bent red seam, which pushes his belly volumes more. Further I used a green-ish light grey for the the white and a blue-ish dark grey for the nearly black color to sculp the volumes a bit.