AuthorTopic: NES  (Read 10143 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

NES

on: September 25, 2008, 06:55:33 pm
This was my first attempt at 3D that I started yesterday. Sorry for the choppy animation, I still haven't fully grasped everything.

24 vertices
21 faces.

And here is the texture:

And yes, I did forget the controller ports, heh.

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Re: NES

Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 07:44:12 pm
Hey! That turned out pretty well! I'd suggest adding more frames of animation to the turnaround - smoother animation makes it easier to see the forms and textures. That's my opinion, anyway. :D And finding some way to do the red text on the cartridge door and reset buttons would really help, too. It's very monochromatic, and those little splashed of red would really help draw the eye.
Good work!

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 05:41:52 pm
It's simple but it works. I quite like it.

I agree with the stuff Howard said.
Also your texture is a very fucked up size. Normally game engines handle sizes which are powers of 2, 8x8, 16x16, 32x32... you get the idea. Some can do mixes of those as well, like 64x128 and such.

I made an edit of your texture.

If you can manage to have the edges connected in the UV like in the model it is not a bad idea in most cases (esp when doing higher resolution textures). So you can kinda unfold it like a box. You can still unwrap the shapes seperatly if you want but you can then weld the vertexes on the UV to get the stuff back together.
To get the texture into an 64x64 I gave sides with little information less space. The light grey on the left and right does not need more than a 1 pixel line (1 pixel really, but because of the whole box unfold I made it a line). And the top bit on the back can have 2 pixels I think. That way you also get more space for a controller :)

I also tinted the grey a bit blueish, makes it look less boring I think.
Keep it up.

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 05:48:40 pm
Also your texture is a very fucked up size. Normally game engines handle sizes which are powers of 2, 8x8, 16x16, 32x32... you get the idea. Some can do mixes of those as well, like 64x128 and such.
I made an edit of your texture.

Really? I knew that applied to 2D games, but I didn't know that applied to 3D models. Maybe that's why I was having such a hard time mapping the texture. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for now on.
If you can manage to have the edges connected in the UV like in the model it is not a bad idea in most cases (esp when doing higher resolution textures). So you can kinda unfold it like a box. You can still unwrap the shapes seperatly if you want but you can then weld the vertexes on the UV to get the stuff back together.
I also had my texture laid out like that initially, but I was having a terribly hard time mapping it out because of having to rotate them and all. In fact, I ended up changing it because I couldn't get the sides rotated correctly, I believe.

To get the texture into an 64x64 I gave sides with little information less space. The light grey on the left and right does not need more than a 1 pixel line (1 pixel really, but because of the whole box unfold I made it a line). And the top bit on the back can have 2 pixels I think. That way you also get more space for a controller :)
Thanks for the tips. I only started yesterday and I must say texture mapping is the hardest part. I have a very hard time getting textures to fit correctly, or get them rotated to map against the face right. I'll take all knowledge I can on the subject.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 05:50:23 pm by Dusty »

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 06:43:00 am
You`ll soon get used to working in 3D it just takes a different approach to pixel art. UV mapping is the toughest part but once you do a couple of models you`ll be fine. You`ve done a nice job on this but I agree that the little small red details would bring it to life, tinting the grey a little is also a good idea I think as the environment rarely has pure grey objects in it.

Jason.

Offline LazyLemon

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 04:01:26 pm
I didn't realize someone else made a NES. My friend just showed me. I thought that I would post mine up as well.