AuthorTopic: Low Poly in 3DS Max 7  (Read 19930 times)

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Re: Low Poly in 3DS Max 7

Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 12:46:43 am
Dusty, I would sugest you get used to it because its a great way to know how many pollys you are working with. some game engins dont suport double face so you have to create the faces on the other side. by now seeing them in max, is a way to remember that you have to create them if you wanna see them.

BUT if you really dont want to bother, you can allways go to object properties and uncheck backface culling.

ndchristie: "which is also the point of a symmetry modifier "

well yes but hear me out. if you are workign on a mirrored instance you wanna be doing that from the first moment. not modeling something and in the end applying a symetry and seeing the result for the first time. which makes you then apply the symetry at the beginning, then going down in the stack and checkin the "show end result" button to get to see what's happening on both sides. what happens with that is that you will allways get those annoying yellow lines.
so the best would be: modeling using a mirrored instance. when finished, delete the instance, apply the symetry and check for any mess along the middle edges.
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 01:39:47 am
I'm not sure what the issue with yellow lines is? haha.  i mean, if you really want to see them without it it's as simple as f9 or deselecting the entity, and it seems like a much more effective way to work from the single modifier.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #22 on: October 10, 2008, 10:30:37 am
well I gess we work differently then. I hardly ever EVER render a 3d lowpoly model and I also hardly ever deselect it. and if have symetry one and are down on the stack in editable poly you have to deactivate any subobject level to be able to deselect it and once you deselect you have to go back down the stack again to continue working.

I mean it may not bother you or alot of other people, I cand surely understand that. Its just I never got used to working with it like that and those 3 to 5 second kind of break my flow.

its not about you being wrong or me being wrong. its just a different workflow.
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!