AuthorTopic: Low Poly in 3DS Max 7  (Read 19934 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: Low Poly in 3DS Max 7

Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 07:58:29 pm
Thanks for the tips everyone, I actually learned a lot.

Another question. I find it easy, when working on symmetrical things, to just do one side and flip it. It's a lot easier than bothering to make I do the same to both sides.

However, when I flip the object I end up having two vertices in the same position(one vertex from each object), and I can not find out how to turn them into just one vertex.

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 10:21:27 pm
Dusty: Your best bet is to use a vertex weld - usually found under Editable-Poly > Weld (you need to have the verts selected) give it a low threshold (less than .01) and that should fix that problem for you. Alternatively, you might want to look into the "Symmetry" modifier, which does all of this fun stuff for you. :D

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 10:24:00 pm
Ohh thanks about the Symmetry. As for the weld, I've used it but the effects don't seem to be permanent. If I make any other changes the welding seems to disappear.

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 11:01:39 pm
Huh. Might be that the face normals of the flipped faces are inversed. Select them and hit "Flip" in Editable Poly. Might fix your problem. :D

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 02:51:09 am
i use collapse with the two selected when i need to stick them together.

however, i really do tihnk that symmetry modifier is the best and fastest.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 11:29:24 am
when you mirror something into an instance, you cant just weld the vertices. it has to be the same object for that to work. in addition to that, you cant attach an instance to another. so what you have to do is collapse on of the objects into an editable polly and then attach the second one to it. this way they become one object. then you can select the vertices you want to weld and just press weld and play around with the threshold until you get half the vertices you have selected

hope this helps.

symetry can be a good alternative, but it also has some issues. like generating extra vertices and edges is your mirror border isn't perfectly planar.
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 02:52:58 pm
when you mirror something into an instance, you cant just weld the vertices. it has to be the same object for that to work. in addition to that, you cant attach an instance to another. so what you have to do is collapse on of the objects into an editable polly and then attach the second one to it. this way they become one object. then you can select the vertices you want to weld and just press weld and play around with the threshold until you get half the vertices you have selected

you should be able to attach if you clone as a copy?

symetry can be a good alternative, but it also has some issues. like generating extra vertices and edges is your mirror border isn't perfectly planar.
In low poly, you can pretty easily just go along the seam once you have collapsed the modifier.  In high poly, it doesn't add too much, so who cares :).  The middle ground is where things get annoying.
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 05:02:49 pm
you can, but the point is having and instance so that when you change one, the other changes too.
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 06:21:15 pm
you can, but the point is having and instance so that when you change one, the other changes too.

which is also the point of a symmetry modifier :P.

mirroring to an instance is effectively the same as telling symmetry not to slice or weld?
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 07:54:56 pm
Learning a lot with this help, thanks :)

Also another problem I've run into... when working with planes, one side is always invisible. If I rotate around to look at it, it just kind of makes the whole thing disappear. Makes it hard when I'm trying to work lowpoly. Any way to not make this happen?