AuthorTopic: Blam Blam (Updated 09/26/08)  (Read 6341 times)

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Blam Blam (Updated 09/26/08)

on: September 24, 2008, 06:07:33 pm
My eyes hurt when I look at it now so I guess it's time for some outside opinions. This is kind of the first thing I've done in a while, so if you'd be so kind, I could use some help scraping off the rust.

Current:

Older:
http://h1.ripway.com/tremulant/boyhelly7.png
http://h1.ripway.com/tremulant/boyhelly8.png
http://h1.ripway.com/tremulant/boyhelly10.png

Blam blam.
Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 05:14:52 pm by Tremulant »

Offline chimico

• View Profile

Re: Some demon thing I made up

Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 07:09:33 pm
nice concept! i really like the face, hair and gun. i think you should move the head a bit on the right. his left arm looks very short, and the wrist very thin compared to his body. you should make the left hand bigger, too; i think it would be nice if he holded the gun, that would turn out pretty little, with 3 fingers.
legs remind me a goat, and that's cool, but i think they're way too short... i can't really take them as a matter of style, they'd allow a very problematic walking and this doesn't fit his strong anatomy.
uh, i also had some problems to get if those things on his head were random bumps or strange glasses or cut horns XD

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 09:05:41 pm

some scribblin's.
my main crits are:
-he's not really looking where he's shooting
-his silhouette is kind of straightforward, needs to be more chunky.
-tail messes with the line of action.
-too much midtone

Offline Redshrike

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 10:11:45 pm
Hellboy, I take it?
Beyond what Tocky said, I'd suggest that you make the light from the gun reflect off of his skin.  It could be nice as a secondary light source for his face.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Re: Some demon thing I made up (Updated 09/25/08)

Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 02:58:25 pm
Indeed it is Hellboy, but Mignola totally stole my idea. :P

Reading chimico's crits, I came to dislike the original anatomy, so I took this in a more, um... proportionate direction. The anatomy/pose/everything is still all screwed up. This is just meant as a rough update to show where I'm heading with the thing.

I'm in a rush at the moment, so I'll give a proper response to the crits when I'm a little less pressed.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Edit:
Here's a more complete update. Just messing around with the palette, mostly.  The lighting is all off, and I'm sure the anatomy is wrong as well.
Hopefully, the issues with the direction of gaze has been fixed (somewhat),  I changed the direction of the tail, but it still doesn't flow great. The original problem with the legs is obviously not an issue anymore, but new ones now abound, I'm sure.

I can't decide if I like the blue tone or not.

Thanks again, guys. Please, don't stop the crits.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 06:14:02 pm by Tremulant »

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Re: Blam Blam (Updated 09/25/08)

Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 05:14:39 pm
I worked it over some more, tweaked some stuff. I'm thinking about taking out the muzzle flash, and the legs still bother me. I'm having a hard time taking it any further.

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Blam Blam (Updated 09/26/08)

Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 06:45:49 pm
Legs are way to short.

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 07:10:50 pm
I acctually prefered the original short dude version. It could not be faithful to the original version of hellboy but it was still a nice interpretation. by changing it to become closer to the original, it makes it a bit less interestin I would say. at least to me, of course.

Kaz
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 09:13:48 pm
I agree with Kaz. I thought this piece was much more interesting when it was a big-headed caricature. However if you are going to keep the realistic proportions, the head is still a bit too small, the legs are too short, and the gun is too big. Great work, though, in any case!

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 03:36:32 am
The short legs were intentional. I was trying to emphasize the bulk of his upper body, and so diminished the legs but I may have over done it. It's happened before.

The reason I took this from Stumpy caricature to something more realistically proportioned has to do with the fact that I almost exclusively pixel stumpy caricatures. When I was reworking the original's anatomy, I decided I'd rather do something with, well... a smaller head, I guess. The head is tiny for the same reason as the legs, but again, I've been known to overcompensate. The gun must be shrunken, though, yes.  :P