AuthorTopic: Pixels to share (Image Heavy)  (Read 4498 times)

Offline Hyun

• 'Tis what we dreamers dream of.
    • View Profile
    • Eo

Pixels to share (Image Heavy)

on: January 04, 2006, 12:15:02 am
It's just a standard hello/introduction post :)

I've naturally been a programmer, but I do like to dabble in pixels. Trouble is, I've never thought I was any good at it, until recently when my buddy Captain Blood started to teach me the way of the pixel. I've now started to get a basic grasp of pushing the little buggers around into places where they look good. I'm still a beginner compared to many of the people here, and I'd like to learn and become better at this art, so I can pixel more in my own games.

Any good pointers on choosing colours anybody? I still can't get to grips with choosing the right looking colours. So far, I've just been working with Captain Blood's palettes, which have a nice richness to them. However, when I go colour hunting - I always end up with some pretty grey looking colours. :(

My first 'real' pixel piece:

Ships were conjured up from random scribbles, and lovingly crafted into the beasts you see before you. You may have noticed I'm a lazy bastard, and just simply flipped the halves over for all the ships. I still think they look good however, and am pretty pleased with it all. However crits are always welcome!

Just a quick show of my gaming side:

A tetris clone I'm currently programming and done the graphics for:

And a Gradius clone, with background graphics done by moi, and the rest from PyroPirhana and Captain Blood, as well as another buddy, Pug Fugly:

If those images aren't supposed to be there, I apologise :P

Happy New Year everybody!

Offline Schu

• The front is a lemon avenue flying straightly
    • View Profile
    • Eyegore-net

Re: Pixels to share (Image Heavy)

Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 02:26:53 am
What? No ducks? ;D

When I pick colours I usually nab them off some Capcom games (mostly the fighting games) because they're so vibrant, rich, and well contrasted.

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 02:46:42 am
I like your screenshots of the game. Is it open-source? What did you use? Bare OpenGL? DirectX? Or is it an engine?
*cough*
Excuse me. Anyways, about colors.
I find it is absolutely essential for, well, artists in general to be able to pick colors.
In pixel art, an approach I use in picking colors is to go through and as more colors are needed, I would just create some more. I use the HSL sliders in GraphicsGale (although I know many great artists here probably use RGB). Using the colors of other games/artists can be done, but I find that it's very limiting to your artistic vision if you can't find the exact color you want by others.
How colors do together in a palette will take quite some experience. In other words, you'll be best off learning about colors by actually creating pieces that use these colors.

Anyways, I suggest you start out messing around with hue, saturation, and luminosity. Get a good understanding of colors with these concepts. Find colors that appeal to you.
After that, if you want to try going from HSL to RGB, just experiment with how different levels/ difference in values/ etc. of RGB can effect HSL.

Captain Blood

Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 03:02:18 am
Is it open-source? What did you use? Bare OpenGL? DirectX? Or is it an engine?

It is Game Maker 6.1 in its more advanced usage.  As are my game pics in my sig.

Love the fact ya took a pic of your Tetris with my lil Blasterine appearing in the dot matrixy display, Hyun.  Surprised Schu didn't point that out.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 03:04:07 am by Captain Blood »

Offline Schu

• The front is a lemon avenue flying straightly
    • View Profile
    • Eyegore-net

Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 04:21:56 am
I did notice it ;D But I guess I can shout it out now -- Blasteriiiiiiiiines!

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 02:04:53 pm
 I just love those pixels he made there. Some comments about it? Yes, the purple rocks are kinda liquidish. You might want to make the texture appear more rock like. Try adding some dithering or any other texture pattern.

Offline Hyun

• 'Tis what we dreamers dream of.
    • View Profile
    • Eo

Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 07:11:40 pm
Blasteriiiiiiiiiines - ho! Thos critters are gonna infect the web with their coolness! Thanks for the comments so far everybody.

The rocks are supposed to have that kinda liquid look, because I felt dithering would take away from the style. However feel free to edit it in order to show how I can improve it! :)

Lady Medusa

Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 11:08:34 pm
Will that tetris become available on-line :D?
Looks wonderful!

Love the space ships too, specially the little ones ^^